VN12 Spindle Motor Rebuild/Rewire

Michaelp631

Registered
Registered
Someone dropped a #12 on me for a good price, but the large spindle motor needs a cleanup if not total rebuild/rewire.

I reviewed the stuff on here, and Steve Lawson's Youtube videos, but don't see anything specific on the big spindle motor.

Anyone direct me how to clean up and rewire it, or have photos or videos of doing it (wishful thinking)?

Mike

Why do you suspect the motor needs to be rewired?

Most electric motors only need bearings replaced unless there was an amperage problem causing wires to overheat.

It depends on the motor. If it is a 3 phase motor then cleanup is pretty easy. Rewiring is a whole different thing. I have not had a motor rewired. If the motor is bad, it is probably cheaper to buy a used motor than to have it rewired. My VN12 motor is a 1.5HP Westinghouse 3 phase motor. I disassembled it, replaced the bearings and painted it. Here are a few pictures.

Before
VN12MotorBefore.jpg

After
VN12MotorAfter.jpg

On the Mill
VN12R-005web.jpg

Very sharp paint scheme- what shade of grey? Rustoleum or custom or...?
Mark

Someone dropped a #12 on me for a good price, but the large spindle motor needs a cleanup if not total rebuild/rewire.

I reviewed the stuff on here, and Steve Lawson's Youtube videos, but don't see anything specific on the big spindle motor.

Anyone direct me how to clean up and rewire it, or have photos or videos of doing it (wishful thinking)?

Mike
Are you asking how to change the connections on the motor to convert it from 440 to 220 volts? Or do you suspect that the motor was damaged and no longer works?

Cal,

Both actually. The wires coming out of the motor box look frayed and worn. I would love to change them for some new ones with plastic insulation instead of that cloth.

Second, my house has 220 - 1 phase. I want the motor to take 220, so I can use a VFD to convert the 3 - phase to the 1- phase I have,

Cal,

Both actually. The wires coming out of the motor box look frayed and worn. I would love to change them for some new ones with plastic insulation instead of that cloth.

Second, my house has 220 - 1 phase. I want the motor to take 220, so I can use a VFD to convert the 3 - phase to the 1- phase I have,
A photo would help to see what you have going on. You can slip heat-shrink tubing over the wires to protect them. The heat-shrink tubing you get most places is pretty stiff. You might want to buy some 3M brand "VFP-876" tubing, which is made from polyolefin. Allied carries it:
https://www.alliedelec.com/view/search?keyword=3M VFP-876

There should be metal tags on the wires, numbered from 1 to 9 (six usually has a bar under it, so you don't confuse it with nine). There is usually a diagram on the motor showing how to connect the leads for high- and low-votage (220V) operation. If there's no diagram, see this link: http://ijyam.blogspot.com/2011/07/9-leads-terminal-wiring-guide-for-dual.html

Consider checking with a motor repair shop to see how much they would charge to run it through their cleaning tank, dip and bake the windings, and install new leads. Usually it doesn't cost too much.

Cal wrote, "Consider checking with a motor repair shop to see how much they would charge to run it through their cleaning tank, dip and bake the windings, and install new leads. Usually it doesn't cost too much."

I might add that Cal's option has many benefits. You know it will fit, so no need for custom brackets etc. Amp ratings of the motor will match the capacity of the mill.

Best wishes as you make progress!

Remember the old motor was built to last , about the only thing that ever wears is the bearings . So if there bad by the best your pocket can afford. Shrink tubing is great stuff , they have some with a glue type insides so they waterproof as it shrinks .I like it for the material covered wiring to me it just works better. Good luck with a great machine.

Back