Voltage mix-ups

Alcap

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A few weeks I bought a Clausing 8520 mill and 5914 lathe , when I asked the fellow who bought them from 2 different places when voltage he said lathe 110v and the mill 240v I was so excited that when I got them home and in place in my mind the lathe is so much bigger and the 3 wires coming out the metal conduit were so small and the motor plate reads 18.4 amps/ 9.2 amps " that's got to be 240v " and the wire on the mill looked like just an extsion cord wire without a plug . That will need some electrical work before I can use it . Stuck a 110v plug on and it ran no load fine , even drilled a few holes OK . Cleaning up lathe I noticed the work light wired into the metal junction box was damaged so I cut it off to repair ,(white , black , green ) wanted to make sure I was hooking it back up correctly figured they used the green for the neutral which didn't sound correct but would work I guess . then after more checking I realized that it's the lathe that 110 volts ! Since there's a unused 220 volt 20 amp circuit and outlet already there I'll change the lathe to 220v and run 220 to them both . I think it would be wise for me to hook the lathe up to 110v first just to make sure everything works before switching over . A friend that's a licensed electrical will have to do that stuff

Its nice when everything in the country is 240V at home. Makes life a lot simpler.
Mind you its illegal to do any electrical work if your not licensed so I guess one outweighs the other.

Back