VW Bus gas pedal

E

ecdez

Forum Guest
Register Today
I have a VW bus with a replacement gas pedal that's made out of plastic. After a few years of fighting with it, I decided it was time to upgrade to something a little better. I still need to trim the bolt and put a good sanding to it, but I was a little proud and wanted to share.

I didn't think of it, but the wife noticed it was heavy so I had to hog out some meat on the back to lighten it up a little.

pedal1.jpgpedal2.jpgpedal3.jpg

pedal1.jpg pedal2.jpg pedal3.jpg

Nice pedal. I had a 1957 bus some decades ago. I replaced the 36 HP engine (broken crankshaft) with a 90 HP competition engine. Lots of fun.

Nice pedal. Years ago, I took a wrecked bus and turned it into a sand rail, the gear reduction axles where the bomb.

I've always wanted a rail but they're not very practical here. I've decided to settle for a baja. I have all the parts except the fiberglass kit and time.

Volkswagen's are beautiful in their simplicity, I could have my engine out in 2 minutes and re-installed in 5 minutes in the sand-rail. I really loved that machine, but I had kids and got a mortgage and she had to go. I traded it for a Subaru which was nothing more than a water cooled knockoff of a Volkswagen, I still regret that.

I posted these on another site (VW site) and a few guys had some interest so I thought I'd crank a few out and see what happens.

Blanks chucked in the vice to square the end (repeat on other side)

pedal1.jpgpedal2.jpgpedal3.jpg

Stand on one end and cut the bottom recesses. My plan was to cut both sides at once since I have enough cutters but I did not have the arbor spacers that I thought I had. If anyone has extra 1 1/4" spacers, let me know.

pedal4.jpgpedal4a.jpgpedal5.jpg

Flip them over and take two passes for the top radius. Probably could have done it in one pass, but I wasn't sure at the time. The radius cutter is 2 3/8" and the stock is 2 1/2" wide so I had to put a spacer between the two. There is a small area on the top that needs sanded flush, but I couldn't think of a better option for getting a good shape on the radius.

pedal6.jpgpedal7.jpg

And here we have 6 blanks. Still need grooves cut, work on the back side and sanded.

pedal8.jpg

Probably wont get back out there until next weekend.

A side note on the large radius cutter I was using. I got them from Rumford Industrial Supply in Seekonk, MA. It was my first time dealing with him and stumbled across them on ebay. I don't know what all they do, but their listings seem to be surplus or used machine stuff. He gave me a great deal and even sent me the cutters to see if they would work for me before I paid since he couldn't answer the question I was asking regarding the dimensions. I have no connection with him, but I know it's hard to find decent people now so I thought I'd pass my good experience on.

pedal1.jpg pedal2.jpg pedal3.jpg pedal4.jpg pedal4a.jpg pedal5.jpg pedal6.jpg pedal7.jpg pedal8.jpg

Thanks ecdez!

Thanks so much for pics of the process. I look forward to seeing your updates.

I loved my 71 super beetle- best engine I had in a VW. when I was 17, I got the car, which was 17! 55,000 original miles on it then- I would die to have that car back now!

Bernie

Man that horizontal mill with the radius cutter is pretty awesome! I like seeing how some tools that I have never used(like a horizontal mill) excel at certain things. I alsolike the cutting you did to texture the pedals as well.

Keep up the good work!

These are great. Have you thought about seling a few on "The Samba" Its the largest VW Forum around.

Nice job on the pedal. What brand mill do you have?

Paul

Back