W. P. Davis Lathe

two things:

1) I fixed a typo in the size of my Barnes lathe above (post #9)......it's a 4-1/2".
Also, it shows "PAT. SEPT 21 1880" cast into the base.

2) I thought I had more, but it appears the only Barnes documentation I have are the catalogs available here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=73&tab=3

check out the "Photo Index" and "Images" tabs at that link as well.

-brino

well i picked up the davis lathe in New Bedford and got everything but the bed and legs, will probably get them this weekend when my son has time to help me.
the amount of tooling i brought home in buckets is mind blowing.
as i sort things out i will post some detailed photos of tooling and lathe.
Dan

P1010539.JPG P1010541.JPG P1010542.JPG P1010543.JPG

Dan very nice haul!

Some assembly required with that lathe!
I am sure there will be some diamonds in those piles and buckets.
I have only see a replaceable tip tool like that in old books, cool!
What make are those big 3-jaw chucks on the wood crate(on morse taper stubs)?

as i sort things out i will post some detailed photos of tooling and lathe.
Please do!

-brino

They can say what they want those old machines are made to last. They look like some real machine makers did there job right. I would buy old cast over all the new import stuff . I'd rather have to rebuild our home grown machinery over all the cheap yet overpriced imports . The dealers buy cheap then at least double the price before you even see it. Nuff about that, now how do they look much wear on them that needs atension , very nice looking machines cant wait to see them refinished lots of help on here.

i had some time to sort out the some tooling and take some photos
from left to right in first photo, 4" 3 jaw with radius cut outs on inside of jaws ( first i have seen this ) the D E Whiton machine co. new london conn.
next the E Horton & son co. windsor locks, conn. 4" 3 jaw.
next A.F. Cushman hartford conn. 2.25" 3 jaw morse taper 2
next J H Westcott's little ???? patented 1874- apr. 1885 2 jaw 2.50" morse taper 2
last the skinner chuck co. new britain ct. usa pat mch.14 1882 no. 606 8" reversible 3 jaw
not in the photo still attached to the spindle is a 4 jaw skinner 8" no. 106
check out the westcotts jaws in the next photo, any ideas why they are this shape ?
third photo on bottom is a no. 3 Morse twist drill & mch. co. new bedford mass. pat. sept.6, 64. dec. 1. 74. with a morse 3 taper .
the other drill chuck is an Almond no. 10 geared chuck pat. sept.-17-1912 smooth as silk.
i acquired the nicely marked O.K. tool holder several months ago along with some other tooling.
the tin box with home made holder and bits came along with all this other tooling.
together at last!
more to come, i will be picking up the bed and legs Sunday.
Dan

P1010544.JPG P1010545.JPG P1010546.JPG P1010547.JPG

I have a similar chuck marked "The Standard no. 0", in nice condition, here is a no. 2:
http://www.beautifuliron.com/gs_drillchuck_standardNo2.htm
Ulma Doctor collects those chucks and I think has as least several of them. They are from around 1900, yours may be earlier by the design and the patent dates. Those are nice chucks, accurate, well built, every bit as good as more modern Jacobs USA made chucks. They grip tight and mine has almost zero runout or wear after more than 100 years. Those interchangeable lathe bits are also pretty special and nice as well. Take really good care of those tools, they are not making any more of them... But don't be afraid to use them from time to time, tools are not meant to be wall hangers or in a glass display case.
Edit: Find an old camelback drill press to go with the chuck 8^)

Very nice lathe, very nice collection of old chucks!!!!
thanks for sharing old boy!

:+1: on what Bob said! in regards to the utility and accuracy of the od double/triple grip tail stock chucks
i use my double grip chucks anytime i need to securely hold a large drill bit or holding chucking reamers in the lathe tailstock.
they are easy to use and can be centered and locked,
i have nothing but good stuff to say about them!
put em to work!!!!

thank you for the suggestions guys .
Tom; when you say electrolyte is that the same as electrolysis ?
will a solution of vinegar also remove rust ?
i had some time today to sort out some more tooling, here are some photos.
i have a few whats its to post soon.
Dan
i do like the looks of the camel back drill presses, very organic.
P1010548.JPG P1010549.JPG

Last edited:
Wow that's a pile of stuff!
-brino

Back