W. Robertson #5 Power hacksaw

63redtudor

Registered
Registered
In a round-about way I have 'inherited' another machine. This time it is a W. Robertson #5 power hacksaw. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of information on these machines, does anyone have anything other than flyers or ads? The machine seems to run well, but I'd like to know how to adjust the clutch and how to service the hydraulic lift mechanism. I have to hold the clutch engaged to get it to work (though it does cut rather nice) and it looks as though I have to remove the piston on the lift (meaning I will have to re-adjust the lift?) to service. Does anyone else here have one of these machines? From what I have been able to dig up online, most of these machines are very similar, the different numbers are the different sizes (Robertson had up to a #6, I believe).
Here is a picture:

RobertsonN5.JPG

I know that it probably should be secured to the floor, but I need the ability to move it around. The casters I have on it right now are heavy duty and so far seem to hold up to the movement of cutting, but in the long run I'd like to get some floor locks (like these: https://www.mcmaster.com/floor-locks).
Thanks for any info.

Thats a pretty nice old saw! Were these made in Buffalo NY?
Cheers
Martin

Yes, there is a decent history of the manufacturer on vintage machinery, but there really isn't a hole lot of information about the actual machines.

Back