Waaay OT: Extending Valterra RV sewer valve control shafts?

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
Greetings all!

Figuring someone on this list is also an RV person who's done this already:

I am midway through a black tank replacement / system upgrade on our GMC Birchaven and have acquired a couple of Valterra valves that will eventually be situated under the coach and not quite within reach when I need to open / close them. So I want to build some valve shaft extensions to make them accessible.

It appears that the valve handles are threaded onto the valve shafts but applying a bit of twisting force to the handle while holding the shaft with pliers didn't unscrew it.

On the plastic handle casting there's a slight indentation that looks like either a set screw or roll pin may be involved but a deeper visual inspection doesn't really bear that hypothesis out.

Rather than using the BFH style approach and regretting it - Do these valve handles actually unscrew or is there a secret code to the process?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Chances are the handle is injection molded onto the shaft and there is some type of retention on the shaft. This could be a flattened (Stamped) area to help keep it in place.
I think you will have to force the handle off. This can be done by cutting the rod, leaving just enough to be able to put a vice grip on it. Heat the rod with a torch and then attach the vice grip and pull the rod section out. Then drill and tap it for a larger rod. You could also place a threaded insert into the handle. I would then thread the smaller (original rod) and have the new rod thread onto it.

They do thread on and extensions are available.

They do thread on and extensions are available.

Great, thanks for that information.

With that knowledge I got brave enough to use a vise-grip on the shaft and apply some twist and the knob broke free and came off nicely. I just wanted confirmation before destroying a valve shaft and I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks all!

Stu

Cut the rod and thread it.

They make couplers that are just long nuts or you can make them.

Place valve with threaded stud in correct direction.

Get rod same size and thread one end same and route and attach.

Determine length, cut and thread...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My roadtrek has one cable operated and one electric operated sewer valve. So these are both options.

Back