Waiting on my just purchased PM-1236T

After you get it leveled I would check:
TIR at inner spindle nose.
Difference in height of ways from spindle to end of bed.
TIR with chuck and a pin gage.
Turn a piece of 1.5" steel rod over 5" of the length and measure the difference in diameter, checking for taper.
Difference in height between tailstock and spindle.
Run motor for over 15 minutes and check the temperature.

Ok, got the PM-1236T power wired did the check list before running it started out at the lowest speed ran it up to top speed runing at each speed both Forward & reverse 10min each then random feed rates left and right for 10 min. So think it got broken in. Ok, seemed like it got quiter as I ran it. I then skimm cut the new back plates that had run out, to true them up before mounting a chuck. I checked the spindle for run out both inside and outside it less than .0001 on my Sterrett large face .0001 indictor. I wish I could say the factory chuck was that good but it had more than .004 TIR on a ground rod, 25mm from the chuck and close to 6 thou 100mm from the chuck. So I need to skim cut and remount it to get closer to useable. I may need grind the jaws to get it down to 2 or less thousands. I think my 0 set chuck can be dialed in to 1 or w tenths.we’ll just have to see. This is going to be fun. I knowthis is not a comprehensive report but I just wanted to get an idea on the lathe. This will be my last report in this thread now that it is up and running I will continue with how this lathe responds to tunning.
Thanks for watching.
CH

Last edited:
Back