Walker skids

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Well the tennis balls on my walker last about a week before they have holes in them so I made some skid pads out of 6061 1.5 inch with a 5/8 skid made em a lil over and stuck them in the freezer then hammered them in hopefully these last longer than a week lol20180212_171117.jpg

I'm thinking I might drill and tap them and install some round plugs of 3/4 commercial cutting boards I have hopefully that will last awhile and dull the sound

I prefer the 4 wheeled version. I would suggest a curved leading edge, like the skis, or a even a mushroom shape. anything to rid the front of the square edge that like to grab everything.

Several years ago I helped out a neighbor with his.
I had some sort of polyurethane laying around about ~1-1/2 to 2" dia., durometer unknown.
I cut it to length & stuck in the freezer to machine it.
Placed a aluminum rod in the ends of the walker legs with the ends tapped for 1/4-20, and fastened them.
C'bored one end of the poly to fit over the leg and then c'bored the other end for a 1/4" flange head screw.
Had to toss the pieces back in the freezer constantly.
Held up well and gripped the wood deck and pavement/concrete very well.
The only issue IIRC correctly is that they picked up 'grit' outside and he had to rub them across a mat before entering the house.
Sorry I don't know what type of urethane it was.

Back