[4]

Walker Turner 900 Series

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
A friend is retiring and leaving me a vintage Delta floor model and a Walker Turner 900 series bench model DP.
I will take possession in the spring. I suspect it was never refurbished, so I will probably change all of the bearings, of which I think are 5 total?

Are there any manuals available for repairing and changing bearings on these old machines? Do I need any pullers or special tools? WTMS in CT. will do the work if I send them the
spindle, but if I can do this myself, I would like to attempt. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Billh50

Active User
I have 2 manuals. But you will find the bearings are no longer available. I have the 900 series. There are bearings for the spindle that are a bit larger on the ID but can be used. The 2 bearings for the pulley are something that may have to be improvised somehow. They have an inner race that extends about 1/4 in beyond the bearing. Here are the manuals I have.

Attachments

Billh50

Active User
I rebuilt mine. Except for the pulley bearings. Everything comes apart fairly easy except the bearings in the pulley. There is not much room to grab them for removal. Since the bearings for the pulley are not available I did not try too hard to figure out a way to remove them for replacement.

EmilioG

Active User
Thank you. The WT repair company in Coventry, CT. can do most of the repairs and they even repair the motor.
I believe the Co. uses a spacer or a sleeve to take up any of the bearings size. I've heard that Skf and VBX may have
the bearings, which are a special size. Do you have measurements for the original bearings? Are they Inch/Metric?
I have to see what actual condition this old DP is in.

Billh50

Active User
I don't remember the actual size. But I know the only bearings I could find had an ID that was somewhere between .0003 and .0005 over the shaft size. Don't quote me on that about the exact oversize. I checked every bearing manufacturer I could find. I was told to paint the shaft to take up the space. But I lucked out because my problem was the collar at the top of the shaft was missing so the top bearing moved up making the spindle shaft jump. But the bearings were still good. I do need to replace the pulley bearings though.

EmilioG

Active User
I rebuilt mine. Except for the pulley bearings. Everything comes apart fairly easy except the bearings in the pulley. There is not much room to grab them for removal. Since the bearings for the pulley are not available I did not try too hard to figure out a way to remove them for replacement.
The WTMS company paints locTite in the bearing space to take up the .00xx" There may be new type bearings available, I'll have to look in to it. Thanks

Billh50

Active User
I didn't find the right ones and the ones in the spindle housing were still good. The pulley ones were ok but should be replaced because they are now starting to make noise.

Billh50

Active User
those will work but the ID is a few tenths oversized. You would have to use either paint or retaining compound to fit them. One thing I had thought of doing was maybe build up the bearing area with JB Weld and then turn it down for a good fit.
Anyway....this is mine after I got it back together.

P1010015.JPG

EmilioG

Active User
Nice. Tell me about that cross feed table you've added.

Billh50

Active User
That is a Shars table I bought so that I could do some light milling. I did quite a bit of milling in the past with it. Nothing too close in tolerance as it is still a drill press. And it does take a lot longer to mill stuff because of the limited amount that can be removed per pass. But it was better than nothing. Now that the pulley bearings are making noise I haven't done any milling. Keep looking for that next to nothing real milling machine. Almost had a small Bridgeport once but the guy sold it to someone else even though he told me he would sell it to me. Sold for $300.

EmilioG

Active User
Here is the email I received from WTMS:

RFQ: Walker Turner 700 / 900 / 1200 / 1300 Series DP and Radial Ram (Pre-Delta Machinery)

Although we do sell the bearings separately - we do suggest customers to send us the pulley for bearing replacement if the bearings are very tight, to avoid breaking the pulley. We can also service the spindle bearings. Replacement new spindle bearings require either the use of Lock-Tite 680 retention fluid on the bore, or an alternate procedure to band the spindle shaft with one light coat of automotive primer at the bearing interface location. Instructions are provided with purchase of bearings.

P/N 70702 Bearing - Extended Inner race (for pulley).............................$28.37ea

P/N 6202-625EER Bearing - Spindle.....................................................$ 8.50 ea

S&H USA..............................................................................................$ 6.80

______________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________

Quotation below is for service Remove & Replacement of bearings. You may leave your chuck installed on spindle when shipping quill/spindle assy. If you would like it removed, please note this with your delivery. If you are sending both pulley and spindle for service, pls use the Return S&H for spindle only. If you would like the old bearings returned - please note as well.

Service DDP-6N Pulley R&R bearings incl bearings......................................$ 78.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 14.00

Service DDP57XX Spindle Quill Assembly R&R brgs included.....................$ 65.00
Return Shipping USPS USA.........................................................................$ 19.50

We accept check, MO or Credit Card. If you would like to pay by Credit Card, we will send you an e-payment invoice via PayPal (PayPal account not required).

Walker Turner Serviced Machinery LLC
PO Box 666
Coventry, CT 06238

Billh50

Active User
See...they use either primer or compound. The original bearings are no longer made. But it is not that hard to go through the spindle yourself. Pulley may be a problem unless you know a way to remove the bearings. There is not much access to the bearing to grab or punch it to get it out. I was thinking of a puller that grabs the inner race. But not sure if it would grab well enough.

Billh50

Active User
I noticed they gave a price for the 70702 bearings. When I tried to get them I was told they were no longer made.....hmmmm

EmilioG

Active User
When I get the machine, I'll take a look. I may be able to use threaded rod with a swivel bar on the end to get it through
the bearing and swivel it straight to pull it with a large washer/nut on the other end.

Billh50

Active User
don't forget the ID is only 5/8 and the spine in the pulley is smaller

EmilioG

Active User
I noticed they gave a price for the 70702 bearings. When I tried to get them I was told they were no longer made.....hmmmm
Well, maybe that was then, but they have them now. I like the idea of adding JB Weld then turning it down. I would have to ask a friend to do this for me on a lathe.

EmilioG

Active User
don't forget the ID is only 5/8 and the spine in the pulley is smaller
I would use 5/16" SS threaded rod and mill a slot and cross hole for a swivel bar. That should get it through both openings no?

Billh50

Active User
by the way....I looked for the 70702 bearings this past summer. I noticed you got that quote in 2015. So they may not have the bearings because I believe they used up their old stock by the time I looked for them.

Billh50

Active User
One of these days I have to replace my pulley bearings anyway. So if you haven't done yours by then maybe we can compare notes.

EmilioG

Active User
That quote was given to me a week ago. I just wrote them last week and got a quick response.

EmilioG

Active User
Will do. Thanks for the manuals.

Last edited:
[5] [7]