Walker Turner 900 Series

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A friend is retiring and leaving me a vintage Delta floor model and a Walker Turner 900 series bench model DP.
I will take possession in the spring. I suspect it was never refurbished, so I will probably change all of the bearings, of which I think are 5 total?

Are there any manuals available for repairing and changing bearings on these old machines? Do I need any pullers or special tools? WTMS in CT. will do the work if I send them the
spindle, but if I can do this myself, I would like to attempt. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have 2 manuals. But you will find the bearings are no longer available. I have the 900 series. There are bearings for the spindle that are a bit larger on the ID but can be used. The 2 bearings for the pulley are something that may have to be improvised somehow. They have an inner race that extends about 1/4 in beyond the bearing. Here are the manuals I have.

Attachments

• 900 Series Drill Press.pdf
    6.8 MB · Views: 1,233
  • Walker Turner Dirll Press 900 Series.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 1,325
I rebuilt mine. Except for the pulley bearings. Everything comes apart fairly easy except the bearings in the pulley. There is not much room to grab them for removal. Since the bearings for the pulley are not available I did not try too hard to figure out a way to remove them for replacement.

Thank you. The WT repair company in Coventry, CT. can do most of the repairs and they even repair the motor.
I believe the Co. uses a spacer or a sleeve to take up any of the bearings size. I've heard that Skf and VBX may have
the bearings, which are a special size. Do you have measurements for the original bearings? Are they Inch/Metric?
I have to see what actual condition this old DP is in.

I don't remember the actual size. But I know the only bearings I could find had an ID that was somewhere between .0003 and .0005 over the shaft size. Don't quote me on that about the exact oversize. I checked every bearing manufacturer I could find. I was told to paint the shaft to take up the space. But I lucked out because my problem was the collar at the top of the shaft was missing so the top bearing moved up making the spindle shaft jump. But the bearings were still good. I do need to replace the pulley bearings though.

I rebuilt mine. Except for the pulley bearings. Everything comes apart fairly easy except the bearings in the pulley. There is not much room to grab them for removal. Since the bearings for the pulley are not available I did not try too hard to figure out a way to remove them for replacement.

The WTMS company paints locTite in the bearing space to take up the .00xx" There may be new type bearings available, I'll have to look in to it. Thanks

I didn't find the right ones and the ones in the spindle housing were still good. The pulley ones were ok but should be replaced because they are now starting to make noise.

those will work but the ID is a few tenths oversized. You would have to use either paint or retaining compound to fit them. One thing I had thought of doing was maybe build up the bearing area with JB Weld and then turn it down for a good fit.
Anyway....this is mine after I got it back together.

P1010015.JPG

Nice. Tell me about that cross feed table you've added.

Back