[4]

walker turner drill press

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

davidnolan600

Registered
Hi. I just got this giant heavy drill press from my friend who had to clear out his 88 year old father's home. It's a Walker Turner and I thought I'd use it. But it's huge and heavy and has an exposed belt close to the handle where you drop the bit down. It's very heavy duty and runs like a quiet sewing machine.

Is it worth much? The ON-OFF switch was replaced with a household AC switch and there is no chuck key. The chuck is huge, too.

the thing has a belt drive and 4 pulley speed settings.

I just put it on eBay over taking it to the dump.

I'm in Maryland.

Attachments

4ssss

Registered
Keep it for yourself and make a guard for it. The Walker Turners make new DP's look like junk.

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Nice piece. If I didn't already have a vintage DP I would come get it. Good luck.

vocatexas

Registered
I wouldn't sell that drill press. It looks to be in good shape. They don't make them like that any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlane

Active User
I'd keep it and restore, it’s better quality than almost any new ones .

Last edited by a moderator:

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
I believe that is a WT 900 15" drill press. In my mind it's not huge, in fact the perfect size for a home shop. I may be a bit biased since I have 2 15" Walker Turners. It probably has a 1/2" Jacobs chuck. Replacement chuck keys can be purchased for several sources, this page from McMaster Carr has a list of chuck part numbers and the matching key# : https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-chuck-keys

Last edited:

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I don't think he really cares much about it or wants it, he just wants to sell it. I can't imagine anyone on here would even contemplate taking something like that to the dump.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Another vote for keeping it. :) Those are great old drill presses.

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
The thing would outlast us and our grandkids, given a chance. I wish I were nearer! :distant:

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
New generation, it's to big or to heavy. Not one of the crappy drill presses made today will ever last like this one has. I own a bench top walker Turner with ships wheel feed . Plus a crappy enco import from Thailand it shakes rattles and is rough as a cob. I've also a BIG ROCKWELL DELTA 20" with power feed. Now that's a heavy drill press , just guessing but with the 1" plate base ,, not original ,,, it has to be 500 lbs easy.. if you sell that drill press you will regret it . Mark my words new is junk compared to it.

[6]
[5] [7]