walker turner drill press

davidnolan600

Registered
Registered
Hi. I just got this giant heavy drill press from my friend who had to clear out his 88 year old father's home. It's a Walker Turner and I thought I'd use it. But it's huge and heavy and has an exposed belt close to the handle where you drop the bit down. It's very heavy duty and runs like a quiet sewing machine.

Is it worth much? The ON-OFF switch was replaced with a household AC switch and there is no chuck key. The chuck is huge, too.

the thing has a belt drive and 4 pulley speed settings.

I just put it on eBay over taking it to the dump.

I'm in Maryland.

IMG_3468.JPG

IMG_3470.JPG

IMG_3471.JPG

IMG_3472.JPG

IMG_3474.JPG

IMG_3475.JPG

Keep it for yourself and make a guard for it. The Walker Turners make new DP's look like junk.

Nice piece. If I didn't already have a vintage DP I would come get it. Good luck.

I wouldn't sell that drill press. It looks to be in good shape. They don't make them like that any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd keep it and restore, it’s better quality than almost any new ones .

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that is a WT 900 15" drill press. In my mind it's not huge, in fact the perfect size for a home shop. I may be a bit biased since I have 2 15" Walker Turners. It probably has a 1/2" Jacobs chuck. Replacement chuck keys can be purchased for several sources, this page from McMaster Carr has a list of chuck part numbers and the matching key# : https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-chuck-keys

Last edited:
I don't think he really cares much about it or wants it, he just wants to sell it. I can't imagine anyone on here would even contemplate taking something like that to the dump.

Another vote for keeping it. :) Those are great old drill presses.

The thing would outlast us and our grandkids, given a chance. I wish I were nearer! :distant:

New generation, it's to big or to heavy. Not one of the crappy drill presses made today will ever last like this one has. I own a bench top walker Turner with ships wheel feed . Plus a crappy enco import from Thailand it shakes rattles and is rough as a cob. I've also a BIG ROCKWELL DELTA 20" with power feed. Now that's a heavy drill press , just guessing but with the 1" plate base ,, not original ,,, it has to be 500 lbs easy.. if you sell that drill press you will regret it . Mark my words new is junk compared to it.

Back