• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Walker Turner Series 900 Help Needed.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Billh50

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Does anyone know how to remove the 2 bearings from the pulley without damaging the pulley ?

Billh50

Active User
I don't have a place to get a good enough picture. But they both have an extended inner race that goes down into the pulley. One on top and one on bottom. I can't see any way of removing them without possibly breaking the smaller pulley lip.

Uglydog

Active User
Difficult without pics.
Any way to make a bushing to press them off?

Daryl
MN

T Bredehoft

Active User
Trying to visualize your problem. Can you support the pulley on an arbor press, press through the first one to push the second one out?

Billh50

Active User
The problem is theone on the end where the small pulley has hardly any clearance to get under the bearing. And the inner race that presses into the pulley has an ID that is not much smaller that the spline in the pulley. So I am afraid if I try to punch it out that I will not get a good enough area to hit it out. I can't make a punch to fit the spline because the bearing ID is smaller than the spline so I would need to get at least one of them out first.
I will try and take pics tomorrow. Right now I am just to exhausted from cleaning up everything on the drill press and starting to paint. Sucks getting old. Just can't seem to do what I used to anymore.

Billh50

Active User
After much searching last night, I decided not to remove the bearings. One does not feel bad at all and the other is full of old dried lube. I am going to clean the lube out and see if they still feel usable. New Bearings are not available and I do not feel comfortable welding a spacer onto the inner race of a bearing with the right size ID & OD. ( The inner race is what is pressed into the pulley. )

WalterC

Fill the pulley with grease and try using a shaft near the same size as the original and hammer quickly the shaft into the pulley housing- the pressure will pop the bearing out. You may also use a bolt in the bearing to cover the hole to help. In this manner, you're using hydraulic pressure internally.
My description stinks I bet.

Billh50

Active User
Walter. I tried everything I could think off. But with only about .010 of the inside race showing in the splines only it can't get the bearings to move at all. But I did just clean them out real good beacause they were full of hardened lube. They then felt good so I lubed them up and just put everything back together. I put a new collar on the top of the upper spindle bearing because it was missing. And then also noticed the upper pulley bearing was not held so that it could jump up and down by .030. So I added a shim in to stop the movement and put some preload on the bearings. That did the trick because now the drill press runs real quiet and I now have a better finish when milling with it.

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Hey Bill I just bought a Walker-Turner I don't know the model but it has a leadscrew to move the head up and down.
Is yours like that? What kind of milling can you do? I assume you have an X-Y vise or table?
Mark S.

Silverbullet

When I did ALOT of motor work ,I bought a small slide hammer from snap on , it came with ends made to pull bearings. It wasn't cheap but it worked . Usually just a couple smacks with the hammer . About 12 ounces I think . The puller had a pair of legs that adjusted out wards or inward s.they stayed tight to the bearing. Still have with tons of other very costly tools that work.

Billh50

Active User
Mark,
I do have an X,Y table mounted on it. I do not have a screw for raising the head. I wish I did. But anyway. I can take as much as .020 at a time when conventional side milling and .005 climb milling. And .010 when milling the top of anything. I do have trouble holding anything closer than .003. I can get as close as .001 if I sneak up on it and make several finish passes. But that is usually with aluminum.

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Hey Bill,

I am just trying to get a picture in my mind....

There is a PDF copy of an old manual here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2244

Not real high-res, but does it look like this:
upload_2016-9-4_9-47-21.png

Item 35 is the pulley, 36 and 37 are the bearings, item 38 is a bearing retainer:

upload_2016-9-4_9-48-9.png

Is yours similar?

-brino

EDIT: Whoops I just read to the end.......it sounds like you already got somewhere with it. Good Job!

Billh50

Active User
Yep.....I found a missing collar causing all my problems. The bearings in the pulley were usable but if I could have found new ones I would have changed them while I had it apart.
I keep looking for a riser setup that I can afford but no luck.

markba633csi

Looks like the Walker-Turner 900 had two optional accessories but you couldn't use them both together: The low speed intermediate pulley and the head riser mechanism. I have the head riser but the gear box is cracked where it clamps around the column. I'm going to fabricate a copy of the low speed pulley and if I can reweld the cracked gearbox I'm planning to drop it down and use it to raise and lower the table. Good rainy day project.
Mark S.

markba633csi

I think the pdf above has what I need, bearings seem fine so I shouldn't have to tear into it.
Thanks Bill I'll keep you in mind
Mark S.

[6]
[5] [7]