Walker Turner Series 900 Help Needed.

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
Does anyone know how to remove the 2 bearings from the pulley without damaging the pulley ?

I don't have a place to get a good enough picture. But they both have an extended inner race that goes down into the pulley. One on top and one on bottom. I can't see any way of removing them without possibly breaking the smaller pulley lip.

Difficult without pics.
Any way to make a bushing to press them off?

Daryl
MN

Trying to visualize your problem. Can you support the pulley on an arbor press, press through the first one to push the second one out?

The problem is theone on the end where the small pulley has hardly any clearance to get under the bearing. And the inner race that presses into the pulley has an ID that is not much smaller that the spline in the pulley. So I am afraid if I try to punch it out that I will not get a good enough area to hit it out. I can't make a punch to fit the spline because the bearing ID is smaller than the spline so I would need to get at least one of them out first.
I will try and take pics tomorrow. Right now I am just to exhausted from cleaning up everything on the drill press and starting to paint. Sucks getting old. Just can't seem to do what I used to anymore.

After much searching last night, I decided not to remove the bearings. One does not feel bad at all and the other is full of old dried lube. I am going to clean the lube out and see if they still feel usable. New Bearings are not available and I do not feel comfortable welding a spacer onto the inner race of a bearing with the right size ID & OD. ( The inner race is what is pressed into the pulley. )

Fill the pulley with grease and try using a shaft near the same size as the original and hammer quickly the shaft into the pulley housing- the pressure will pop the bearing out. You may also use a bolt in the bearing to cover the hole to help. In this manner, you're using hydraulic pressure internally.
My description stinks I bet.

Walter. I tried everything I could think off. But with only about .010 of the inside race showing in the splines only it can't get the bearings to move at all. But I did just clean them out real good beacause they were full of hardened lube. They then felt good so I lubed them up and just put everything back together. I put a new collar on the top of the upper spindle bearing because it was missing. And then also noticed the upper pulley bearing was not held so that it could jump up and down by .030. So I added a shim in to stop the movement and put some preload on the bearings. That did the trick because now the drill press runs real quiet and I now have a better finish when milling with it.

Hey Bill I just bought a Walker-Turner I don't know the model but it has a leadscrew to move the head up and down.
Is yours like that? What kind of milling can you do? I assume you have an X-Y vise or table?
Mark S.

Back