Walker Turner Series 900 Help Needed.

When I did ALOT of motor work ,I bought a small slide hammer from snap on , it came with ends made to pull bearings. It wasn't cheap but it worked . Usually just a couple smacks with the hammer . About 12 ounces I think . The puller had a pair of legs that adjusted out wards or inward s.they stayed tight to the bearing. Still have with tons of other very costly tools that work.

Mark,
I do have an X,Y table mounted on it. I do not have a screw for raising the head. I wish I did. But anyway. I can take as much as .020 at a time when conventional side milling and .005 climb milling. And .010 when milling the top of anything. I do have trouble holding anything closer than .003. I can get as close as .001 if I sneak up on it and make several finish passes. But that is usually with aluminum.

Hey Bill,

I am just trying to get a picture in my mind....

There is a PDF copy of an old manual here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2244

Not real high-res, but does it look like this:
upload_2016-9-4_9-47-21.png

Item 35 is the pulley, 36 and 37 are the bearings, item 38 is a bearing retainer:

upload_2016-9-4_9-48-9.png

Is yours similar?

-brino

EDIT: Whoops I just read to the end.......it sounds like you already got somewhere with it. Good Job!

Yep.....I found a missing collar causing all my problems. The bearings in the pulley were usable but if I could have found new ones I would have changed them while I had it apart.
I keep looking for a riser setup that I can afford but no luck.

Looks like the Walker-Turner 900 had two optional accessories but you couldn't use them both together: The low speed intermediate pulley and the head riser mechanism. I have the head riser but the gear box is cracked where it clamps around the column. I'm going to fabricate a copy of the low speed pulley and if I can reweld the cracked gearbox I'm planning to drop it down and use it to raise and lower the table. Good rainy day project.
Mark S.

I think the pdf above has what I need, bearings seem fine so I shouldn't have to tear into it.
Thanks Bill I'll keep you in mind
Mark S.

Back