Walking Beam Steam Engine

Thanks for the complements, guys! Sorry to hear about your detours, Mark. I used some stainless I had for the pins for the links. I did nothing special to the links after soldering, only gave the outsides a rub on the polishing wheel. Remember the joy is in the journey, not the destination. I'm still a rudderless ship, haven't decided what to do next!! I went to visit my sister and daughter in San Diego, so I went to the Joe Martin Craftsmanship Museum in Carlsbad, California. AMAZING place! http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/
They have a machine shop to die for! They gladly give tours of the shop and you can talk to the volunteer machinists, etc. Not to mention lots and lots of beautiful engines, guns, model cars, etc etc etc. Below is a picture of Rudy's Original Walking Beam engine, I used his plans to build this one. This one was just in the display case, they had a lot of his other engines hooked up and they ran them for us!
Rudys.JPG

Hum, what should I build next?? Dave

Rudys.JPG

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, do we know if detailed plans are still available, trying to build it in 3D modelling from the very vague 1969 popular mechanic magazine article?

Hope you are all well and staying safe.

Craig

Hey Craig!
The plans are from the book "Working Steam Engines" by Rudy Kouhoupt. All dimensions are shown, great plans, great book, I've built several of the ones in this book.
Amazon
Ebay

Let me know how it comes out!

Dave

Dataporter, thank you

(managed to do a motion simulation on solidworks and determine the sizes)

Thanks in advance

Craig

Last edited:
Back