Walking Beam Steam Engine

Mark -
Some things do come back around. When I was in Junior High, ahem, a few years before you were born, one of my classmate's father demonstrated a Tesla Coil. I was awestruck! I wanted to make one sooo bad! Building one then was not practical for a teenager, but a few years ago... after many many hours finding information and consulting experts I found on the internet, and messing around and frustration, I finally succeeded, see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RnmAsT_HEw My niece is in college and recently saw a demonstration of a Tesla Coil. She told the instructor it was "lame" compared to her uncle's...

The day I got my first steam engine to run was a hoot, too! It seems to have worsened my addiction to tools. A solution in search of a problem to solve. There are worse things to be addicted to.

I'll share this thread with you, if you like. Compare and contrast two different approaches to the same end.

Dave

I am enjoying this thread as I have the same book and I am looking at making one soon.

Keep up the excellent work.

I too love the built up flywheel and I am going to use the procedure on other flywheels as well.

Cheers,

Tom

I am a newbie "machinist" and was wondering about machining my 1st sterling or steam engine - which one would be easier to build? Any guidance? All I have to work with would be scrap steel, no aluminum, brass, or the such which seems to make it harder. I am unable to find any type of scrap rod or plate in aluminum. The only type that is available is new which is above my budget.

I am a newbie "machinist" and was wondering about machining my 1st sterling or steam engine - which one would be easier to build? Any guidance? All I have to work with would be scrap steel, no aluminum, brass, or the such which seems to make it harder. I am unable to find any type of scrap rod or plate in aluminum. The only type that is available is new which is above my budget.

Having built both steam and Stirling engines, I recommend a steam engine for your first engine. Stirling engines can be difficult to get to run and when they do they barely have enough power to keep the flywheel turning. The tolerances for the power cylinder etc can be a booger. A pretty darn sloppy steam engine will run.

This is the first steam engine I built:
http://littlemachineshop.com/Projects/OscillatingEngine.php
There is a link to the free plans on the webpage above
You could probably make this out of steel.
There is a material kit for this engine for like $26 + shipping
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2594&category=386435363

Aluminum is easier to machine, particularly when you are still finding your way around your machine(s) and tooling!

This Forum is a great place to ask questions or just lurk and learn.

Good Luck!

Dave

Here is a question for you to ponder.. Since we are both making the same engine, should I post my progress and experiences in this thread or start a new thread? I don't want to steal any of your thunder so I'll let you make the call on that. I'm fine either way and it makes sense both ways as well.

Sincerely
Mark R. Jonkman

Mark, it would be best to start your own thread with its own unique title. The two of you can easily comment on each other's threads to compare notes as you make progress. Keeping both builds in the same thread would also be too confusing for other readers. It would also be much easier to retain thread continuity if you create your own thread, so please, please do so.

It would be best to start your thread from scratch, and you can include a link to this thread within yours if you wish (it would be a good idea, actually) and you could post a link to your thread here. Both threads would be easily accessible from each other for comparison that way.

Thank you!

I've made about 6 or 7 engines with plans from Tom Wade.These are reproduced from Elmer Verduz's book.I also have made a rotary valve V-8 engine ,plans by Chuck Fellows. The last engine still needs some tiny springs that I do not have yet. All of these engines run on compressed air.Much safer than steam.Any engine that will run on steam will run on compressed air. Though the opposite may not hold true.I have made a locomotive that runs quite well on air. It was supposed to run on steam,I did a poor job of hard soldering the boiler.Got tired of fixing leaks,converted it to a display model that only runs on air.
Check Tom Wades site,many beginners engines to choose from. An ocsilating engine like the "Fancy" might be a good start. Small engine that runs fast,cheap to build too. You can use any metal,I used aluminum.You can even model some difficult parts in wood. I do this once in awhile just to get an understanding of the process.The first steam cylinder and steam chest were made from a piece of cherry from a downed tree.I couldn't believe it actually worked. I ran this on air,eventually lined the cylinder with 3/4" copper tubing for a better fit.
Have fun,mike

I searched for this and could not find it. Maybe you could post a link or something... Dave

He refers to engine plans by Elmer Verduz, and I think he really meant Elmer Verberg. If that is the case, you can get the plans for all of Elmer's Engines from www.john-tom.com which is based in Thailand if I remember correctly. Keep in mind that by downloading those plans you may be engaging in copyright violations, so be forewarned.

UPDATE: I did find the Tom Wade site, and he has a listing of all of Elmer's Engines there, but does not have any plans available. He also indicates that there have been restrictions placed on the sharing of those plans by the copyright holder for Elmer's book. I forgot to save a link to Tom's site, but you can just Google "Tom Wade engine plans" and you will find his site quite easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAKING THE ROTARY VALVE!!

Making the rotary valve for this steam engine. The photo below shows the blue print of the rotary valve for this engine.

Valve0.JPG

The plans call for 3/16 x 25/32 brass. I have a 1/4 x 1-1/2 bar so thats where I started.

Valve1.JPG

I Dykem blued the bar in the picture above, punched a mark for the main hole and scratched the rough outline of the part.

Valve2.JPG

Above I cut the part off the bar with my HF 4x6 band saw.

Valve3.JPG

In the picture above I took a cut across one side of the part, then I flipped the part over and made the same cut on the other side so the two sides would be parallel for the next step.

Valve4.JPG

As shown above, I used my fly cutter to cut the thickness down closer to 3/16". I took the part out of the vice and miked it and it was .205" thick.

Valve5.JPG

So I set my high dollar Z axis DRO to -.205" and I took another pass or two with the fly cutter until the DRO read -.1875, which is the desired thickness.

Valve6.JPG

I used my edge / center finder in the punch I made to locate the center of the main hole. I have to move the vise to the left and a little bit away from the camera.

Valve7.JPG

There we go, pretty well lined up.

Valve8.JPG

Probably could have just drilled with the punch mark, but force of habit, I center drill first.

Valve9.JPG

The photo above, I already drilled the 3/16 main hole. I move the vise to the right 3/32" and toward the camera 11/16 to locate the hole that is tapped 4-40 on the end of the arm. This hole is to connect the eccentric arm that will rock the valve back and forth to control the passage of steam to the top and the bottom of the cylinder and out the exhaust port.
I looked on my drill tap chart and picked the right drill.

Valve10.JPG

I tapped the 4-40 hole using a homemade tap guide because I find I get the hole perpendicular and I break fewer taps.
At this point the part is at the stage shown in the very first picture above.

Valve11.JPG

Now I convert my HF bandsaw to a vertical saw and remove a bunch of the excess material. The plastic dohickey is for my table saw, but I like to use it here too, because cuts into it are less painful than into my fingers.

Valve12.JPG

Okay, so above I bolted my rotary table to my milling machine and I use an edge finder and my DRO to locate 0,0 or the center of the table.

Valve13.JPG

Above I have bolted a piece of aluminum bar to the table and I drill a hole for a 10-32 screw here at what I think is 0,0.
(see below I think I blew it slightly here or the step above)

Valve14.JPG

Taping the 10-32 hole. then I again moved over 3/32 on the x axis and 11/16 on the Y and drill a whole just large enough that a 4-40 screw will just fit.

Valve15.JPG

Above the valve blank is screwed down to the rotary table and ret 2 go.

valve16.JPG

I decided to mill the two 1/16 x 1/16 x 150 degree slots in the valve first. I have these 1/16" burrs that I think are for a Dremel as shown above with the green collar. I've had a heckuv a lot better luck with these than 1/16 end mills and thank God we are milling in brass. They might be carbide because they are harder than woodpecker lips. I put my mill on the fastest speed it will spin.

Valve17.JPG

Here we go! Above I plunged in .015" and swept an arc from 15 degrees to 165 degrees. So, I swept, went down another 15 thou etc until I was .062 deep. I just felt that going 62 thousands in one pass would be pushing my luck and would snap off the end of that burr. Then I did it again on the other side 345 - 195. With 20-20 hindsight and looking at the plans again, I should have maybe not swept that long of an arc. Rudy's plans show the end of the cut at 15 and 165 degrees NOT the center of the 1/16 end mill like I did it. So my slots are a little longer than they should be. But, I don't think, and I hope, this won't make any difference in the operation of the valve and the engine.

Valve18.JPG

In the photo above, I have installed a 1/8 end mill and moved more than one half of 25/32nds away from center PLUS one half of the diameter of the cutter. I went down until I am just barely cutting the aluminum base. I am sweeping around the part with the rotary table to create the circular shape of the part. I carefully watch the lines I scribed in the Dykem when I get close to the arm part so I don't cut into that or cut it off! I move closer to center and sweep again etc. I stop when I am one half the diameter of the part PLUS one half the diameter of the cutter away from the center.

Valve19.JPG

Next I figured out that the left side of the ARM of the part is cut by moving 3/32 + 3/32 PLUS half the diameter of the cutter (.250) away from center on the X axis and a straight shot down the Y to .378 (Using trig, a right triangle, hypotenuse is .453 the opposite side is .250 the adjacent side has to be .378! And you thought you would never use high school math!)

Valve20.JPG

How do I get the sides of the arm to be mirrors of each other and not have to further fry my brain doing the math???
Take the part off and flip it over and screw it down. Take the same cut as above!! Ta Da!

Valve21.JPG

So now the part looks as shown above. Do you see the problem I mentioned earlier? I did not see it yet. I took the part over to the handy dandy belt sander and carefully radiused the top of the arm.

Valve22.JPG

Now I put a piece of 400 grit wet or dry sand paper on a flat surface and I put a drop of cutting oil on it. I carefully lapped the face of the part by going in little figure 8s with my fingers. This is to deburr it and make it smooth and flat so it will seal as best as possible with the valve port face. NOW is when I see that the goll darn main hole is not in the center of the part. I was cussing like a sailor! How the heck did that happen! I thought, I have to start ALL OVER again! I turned off the lights, closed the shop and left disgusted with myself.

Valve23.JPG

Away from the shop for a while and I have an epiphany. I decide to BORE the hole out larger and make a sleeve to fit in the hole to bring it down to the right size! I carefully chuck the part in my three jaw chuck. I put a parallel bar on the bottom two jaws and pressed the valve against the parallel as I tightened the chuck. I removed the parallel. I used a dial indicator to make sure it was true. I used one flute of a two flute 1/8" end mill as a boring bar. I put my boring head in the tail stock of the lathe. By adjusting the boring head I slowed bored that sucker out until it was .250.

Valve24.JPG

Above you see the completed part, warts and all. I made a little sleeve from .250 stainless steel (303). The valve rotates around a 10-32 brass stud as also shown above. My accidental redesign may turn out to be a good thing. I made a second ss sleeve that is threaded on the rod in the picture. I may use this sleeve so that the bearing surface is the stainless against the hole in the center of the valve. A bearing surface of stainless against brass wears well in my experience. This is opposed to the brass valve wearing against the brass threaded stud in the original design. So, the slots are a little long and the distance from the center of the main hole and the center of the hole in the arm is maybe .015 too short, but my educated guess is that it will work!! We shall see!

Best Regards --- Dave

Valve0.JPG Valve1.JPG Valve2.JPG Valve3.JPG Valve4.JPG Valve5.JPG Valve6.JPG Valve7.JPG Valve8.JPG Valve9.JPG Valve10.JPG Valve11.JPG Valve12.JPG Valve13.JPG Valve14.JPG Valve15.JPG valve16.JPG Valve17.JPG Valve18.JPG Valve19.JPG Valve20.JPG Valve21.JPG Valve22.JPG Valve23.JPG Valve24.JPG

LOL - I made the exact same valve on Saturday as you did Dataporter. Yours came out very nice despite the mistakes. I was too tired to take any pictures and I willl start my own thread another day to document my build. I was working in zombie mode and probably shouldn't have been using any kind of power tool.

My work flow was slightly different. I started with a piece of 3/16" brass and simply drilled the 3/16" hole for the pivot in the mill, same as you did. I then mounted up the rotary table and centered the rotary under the spindle. I have a slug I made that fits the top of the center bore of the rotary table very tightly - not a press fit but a tight sliding fit without much slop. In that I have a 1/4 hole that I reamed, not quite all the way through. With the 1/4" hole I can make pins (from 1/4" dowel rod) with various diameters at the top but are very tight 1/4" diameter going into the bore of the slug. This way I can more or less center things quickly on the table after the table has been centered. I simply dropped in the slug, dropped in a 1/4 to 3/16" pin, dropped my sacrificial aluminum plate on top of that and then the work piece. I set the rotary table to 0 and clamped the piece appropriately (I was conserving brass so I had decided to cut a short piece and make the ear into the diagonal of the brass rectangle), so I clamped it with the diagonal more or less where I figured the hole would be in the "ear". Then I moved the 3/32" offset on the y and the 11/16 offset on the x then drilled the second hole and tapped 4-40 in the mill. I tend to hold the tap in the drill chuck of the mill with enough grip to hold the tap while turning the spindle but loose enough to slip. Then hand turn the drill chuck while putting downward pressure on the spindle, just enough to get 3 or 4 turns of thread to hold the alignment (depends on depth of hole, I don't want to bottom out) and then I release the drill chuck and finish with a t-wrench where I can feel what happens. The reason for not drilling the second hole while clamped in the vice like you did was my attempt to minimize the size of the brass and use the full diagonal into the corner of the rectangular pice I had cut.

After drilling and tapping, I simply returned the y to 0 and the x to the 19/64" radius for the groove. Set the rotary to 15 degrees and cut the first arc to 150, lifted the spindle, moved 30 and dropped back down and cut the remainder to 15 degrees shy of 360. I used a 1/16" ball nose end mill, because that is what I had, to be safe I compensated slightly deeper then 1/16" just in case to pick up a little extra flow that might have been removed by the radius.

To finish I moved back to the starting point of 15 degrees, dropped in 1/8" end mill moved out to the 25/32" + (1/16 for end mill radius), plunged in full depth, arc'd to 15 degrees shy of 360 and then reversed the direction of the rotation back to 15 just to give it a nicer finish. I then removed the piece, I then screwed in a 4-40 threaded centering pin. I offset the y by 3/32". I then aligned the cutter at the end of the 25/32" diameter arc, careful not to overshoot at all, clamped the piece, then simply milled on the x-axis right out past the end of the piece. Unclamped, rotated the piece to the other end of the arc, reclamped and did the same. Then finished off by aligning the mill cutter at x=0 and then rotated the rotary table approximately 180 degrees putting on the last 3/32" arc at the end of the piece.

The end result is pretty much identical to yours. Yours has a slightly wider part where the ear meets the main body. I was scratching my head until just a minute ago when I realized that I did not add a couple of degrees to compensate of the 1/16" radius of my mill cutter. Part of the problem was I got a little bit lazy and didn't draw out the part completely on the brass before I started cutting. If I had done so I would have seen that that. That also means I also didn't compensate the 1/32" radius of the cutter on the steam groove either. I don't think either error I made will be critical definitely rookie mistakes. Hopefully I remember the lesson for the next time.

Back