Want to Make Adjustment Screw 18" Crescent

marcusp323

Active User
Registered
Got this guy many tears back & always wanted to fix it. Have the time now, but what would a guy use to make the threads? They aren't acme. Ideas appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

DCs4JYW.jpg

EQfXDub.jpg

ni2iSHg.jpg

I would take a piece of clay and push it into the teeth. I would probably spray a silicone lube to use as mold release b4 pushing the clay on.
now you know what the threading tool should look like.
I would grind it to shape checking against the clay. Then measure the TPI and try to cut the threads. put a straight knurl on the top of the threads and file down to remove some of the bite.
That's how I would handle it.
I guess that's an amateur way to do it, but I think it would work.

Go for it! It's a fun little project to exercise your gray matter.

I found an 18 inch Crescent type at the scrap yard and saved it from impending doom.

Here's a photo of mine:

View media item 96734

You can knurl the threads after making them for a nice grip. One can form the threads a
little to fit the grooves, at least that's what I did. The threads are not very critical to function...

Try contacting the manufacturer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

If it's of any help, I have a old new old stock screw/nut, what ever they call it here. It's a J H Williams brand. If you want it, PM me. I bet the differencies are not that much and if it is, I bet it can be modified to fit in the Cresent frame. Worth a try! Ken

I know I posted this last night. It's not here, I'm posting it again.
Ken

DSCN3598.JPG

Jeff,

I've been reverse engineering things for over 40 years in my line of work I do for a living. Just comes natural to measure things like this. These kind of threads, I encounter all the time in my work. The angles are from using basic measuring tools like universal beveled protractor like a Starrett 359 and a good eyeball. There's nothing standard on this stuff. There's no books to reference to, to get this information. I have lots of design experience using Buttress type of threads and very few of them follow the ANSI Standard in the stuff I design for a living. Ken

I would not be surprised if one could be bought as a spare part.

Back