Want to see pictures of your benchtop lathe stand

GrizzlyBagWorks

Registered
Registered
I recently picked up a very nice Emco V10P. Unfortunately the stand it come on is very much not nice and needs to be replaced. My Kennedy stack is pretty full at this point and I have quite a bit of tooling for the Emco so I'm looking for options for the stand that can incorporate storage.

Initially I thought to just purchase a Harbor Freight 44" tool box, remove the casters to get it to an appropriate height for this machine (34-35"). Problem is there is very little clearance between the handwheel and the table surface. Cost of this would be ~$500

My next thought was to purchase two Harbor Freight "End Cabinets" to put under each foot and then fabricate a "bridge" between the two that sits several inches below the top and put a chip pan in between. I think this would most resemble the original cabinet. Cost of the two cabinets is ~$500 plus the steel for bracing and sheet metal for pan.

Not sure which direction to go. I'd love to see what you guys have done for your machines or whatever input you may have.

Thanks guys!

My Emco:

Original Emco Stand

Harbor Freight 44" Cabinet:

Harbor Freight "Side Cabinet"

I like your idea with the two end cabinets.

The stand my lathe’s former owner built has provisions for a slide-out chip tray but he never cut out the top to take advantage of it.
d54250241a5d5321fb6f26f0c16656b1.jpg

Your idea would have nice storage. I bought one of the 26” roller cabinets to possibly put under my bench top mill. I’m trying it out first with a welded-frame table before committing to the height.
38ac0cf0480a3e64ea6bdbb6f8cb2657.jpg

My lathe is on an old store counter that came with my old shop.

Star.jpeg

But, Grizzly has stands for sale.

Or just fire up the welder and make what you like.

John

I built a stand with a removable chip pan. The shelf now has a craftsman tool box on it.
20180702_181258.jpg
Jay

Not sure which direction to go. I'd love to see what you guys have done for your machines or whatever input you may have.
GrizzlyBagWorks:

FWIW: I faced the same situation when I bought my 50's vintage Atlas 10" lathe.

I was most concerned with mounting the lathe on a rigid bench, but did not have the funds to go with metal construction. I looked at the benches Atlas sold with their lathes back then, and they were constructed of hardwood. But I didn't have the funds to use either metal or hardwood,

So I designed one made from from hemfir 2X4's. The top is laminated 2X4's as are the legs. That makes them both rigid, plus the legs are secured to the floor, and there are steel plates under the bed, making leveling pretty easy. Then I added full extension drawers and a cabinet for storage.

Maybe a cheap alternative for you.

HTH, Bill

I went cheap. A Canadian retailer sold a tonne of these inexpensive handyman workbenches. It was exactly the dimensions I wanted: 48 wide by 24 deep. I got one used on Kijiji for $50.

Atlas618 bench wStorage.jpg

Even though it is just stamped steel, the frame is quite strong and stable. The top is braced from underneath with glued and screwed hardwood cleats. The cleats are down the centre line of the lathe bed and underneath the headstock, counter-shaft and motor. Particle board would sag, otherwise. Oh, and I cut down the legs by about 2 inches to get to a comfortable working height.

By stroke of fortune, the black cabinet on the left slide right in. I bought it via an auction for the contents and had planned to dispose of the box. It has 6 sliding trays with all sorts of tooling. I cut up some cheap 4 inch PVC pipe to make the metal storage area on the lower shelf. The shelf above simply sits on top of two of the PVC tubes. The chest on the right is only temporary. Change gears and some other stuff are in there but it is a pain to drag it out to get it open.

The 'chip pan' is a tinfoil baking sheet from the dollar store.

Craig

I like the feel of a wooden bench, especially with a heavy top. 2-1/2" thick aged Douglas fir on a trestle base that can knock down if needed. Didn't want to fuss with drawers myself, so went the tool box route. I didn't want to lose the functionality of the top of the box though, so in addition to the drawers sliding, I put the whole chest on heavy duty full extension slides. I also put a full-width strip of 1/4" plate across the front, kind of like a dashboard, that is handy for small lathes that don't have a lot of real estate to attach indicator stands to.

-frank

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Back