Wanted #3 Stark Lathe etc.

Suppo32

Registered
Registered
Hi,

Well I bought a Stark no. 3 Lathe and discovered a few things that were wrong about it. It is always pays to visually inspect some in detail vice just glance. But I broke my own rule and got bit.

The biggest problem is the bed has a lot of cuts deeply in the bed. It almost looks like a past owner used it for a rest while they cut stock on the bed with a hack saw or a meat clever. Well I didn't notice the cuts because a silver waxy substance covered them up. Once I removed the paint and grime to redo it the waxy substance had melted and ran out. Even scrapping won't help so I need a new bed. Missing the hold down bolts for the head stock and the pin that goes into head to lock the wheel. I could go on but I would be just gripping. Bottom line I am looking for Stark Lathe #3 and or parts. If someone has a Stark #3 setup with chucks, collets etc to sell then let me know. if you just have one piece then let me know. I guess half the fun is the search. DSCN1925.JPGDSCN1928.JPG

Thanks
Martin

DSCN1925.JPG DSCN1928.JPG

I'm not familiar with the Stark lathe, so must ask how do a few minor cuts in the bed compromise its performance? Offhand, I'd say make sure he raised no high spots and procede with making chips.

Bill

Bill,

There is a slight 0.015" droop in front of the headstock that extends about seven inches along the length of the bed, when I place a level and run my digital micrometer along the bed. It may have resulted from some one using the bed as an anvil. If it was purely cosmetic problem then I would either weld and scrape the bed or fill the gouges with JB Weld and polish the surface. You may ask why I am so concerned about the bed, well I utilize the stark #3 lathe to cut pinions, gears,balance staffs and wheels for wrist and pocketwatches. As the cross slide or some call it a compound glides across the bed when I rotate my handle on the lead screw it bumps, dips or hesitates which cause imperfections in my staffs, gears and wheels and I have to recut or grind and polish out the problem. Or I reset it up in my jewelers lathe and try to cut it out. The larger stark lathe allows me to cut the larger hamilton Chronometer escape wheels, were accuracy counts. In my case making the chips fly would be detrimental to my micro work. I try to peel the layers off the metal in one continous pass so that there is very little roughness or polishing to require. Now if was my Rivett 918, or my Hjorth's then I wouldn't be concerned but my jewelers and clock lathes have to have a bit more accuracy.

Thanks
Martin

Well now, THAT does make a difference. In my book, a few hacksaw cuts mean little. A 64 th droop means garbage can. Maybe keep it as a freehand or polishing lathe. Definitely no longer in the precision category.

Bill

Bill,
I try not to throw anything away that I can reutilize. (Must be the Farmers Blood in me) I figured I would mount it in back of the other lathe far enough out of the way but close enough so that when I am not using the milling attachment, tailstock or other accessories I would set or mount them on old bed. That way it is conviently close at hand and the accessories like the compound, file rest, swing tail stock, milling attachments are not cluttering up the bench getting knocked out of tolerance or dirty or even in a draw or shelve that I have to go hunt for. :thinking:

Martin

Well now, THAT does make a difference. In my book, a few hacksaw cuts mean little. A 64 th droop means garbage can. Maybe keep it as a freehand or polishing lathe. Definitely no longer in the precision category.

Bill

Martin, just because I say a machine is ready for the garbage can does not mean that I would actually throw it away. Yea, I spent my formative years on farms.

Bill

If you are still looking for a Stark #3 lathe, I have one that I would sell. Steady rest, cross slide,collets step chucks, no tail stock.The ways are in very good shape. Let me know and I'll send some photos

If you are still looking for a Stark #3 lathe, I have one that I would sell. Steady rest, cross slide,collets step chucks, no tail stock.The ways are in very good shape. Let me know and I'll send some photos

Hi, what happened to the tailstock? Yes I am interested, I would be better able to make a decision after I see the pictures. Where is it located (shipping cost) and how much is it. Thanks Martin

Folk's,

I am still in the market for a Stark no. 3 Lathe with attachments/accessories etc. Interested in vertually anything that will fit the no. 3. So far I have had several contacts and they turned out to be either a 3.5 stark or a no. 4. Many thanks

Regards
Martin

Hi, what happened to the tailstock? Yes I am interested, I would be better able to make a decision after I see the pictures. Where is it located (shipping cost) and how much is it. Thanks Martin

Could you have that top surface ground? I mean removing the headstock and leaving one plane to repair? Or perhaps have it chromed then ground if height is an issue?

Back