Wanted: Saddle and cross slide gib for Craftsman atlas 101.28910

guckrob

Registered
Registered
I am fixing up a 12" craftsman lathe which is actually in pretty good shape, but the gibs on the saddle and cross slide were removed when the previous owner moved the machine and now they cannot be located. I have made a few calls and combed ebay with no luck (well, without buying a cross slide and saddle along with). Is there any chance someone here has a source for these or have a parts machine that they are selling from?

Check the for sale section.

I saw a post from april there (for sale section) with the cross slide and compound gibs, and I may resurrect that thread if I don't have any luck. But I think I have the correct cross slide gib on the way and I'm just short a saddle gib. A gentleman from mymachineshop.net is looking for one presently so I'm going to give him a few days and then decide if I want to go the ebay route, etc. Did I miss one of those in the for sale section maybe?

Contact wa5cab He's a atlas guru..he has ad in for sale section.maybe he still has a set or has access to same

I think I've found one! This is the last part I need (that I know of), so now it's just a waiting game

I and another member make steel cross slide and compound slide gibs for the Atlas and Craftsman 6", 10" and 12", all models made from 1934 through 1981. We originally did ones for the 6" primarily to replace the plastic ones introduced with the MK2. Then I discovered that sometime in the mid 1970's, Clausing changed to plastic ones for the 12" Commercial models, and for all replacements in older models. The compound slide gib also fits the 9" made by Atlas and sold by them and by Sears. If someone ever needed a replacement gib for an Atlas or Craftsman 9", we could probably make one of those the next time that we run a batch. I would have to get a copy of the factory drawing from Clausing, as according to the part number, the 10" and later used a different gib (10-56) from the 9" and we don't at present know what the difference is.

The cross slide gib also fits the vertical slide on the 6" and the 10"/12" milling attachment as they used the 6" or 10" and early 12" cross slide on those.

The carriage gib we haven't made as that part remained steel. If anyone ever does need one, call Clausing first. A few months ago, I bought a replacement for my 3996 (late 12") from Clausing and they had 3 or 4 more on the shelf. I didn't ask about the other sizes.. Looking at the parts lists, there is one for the late 12", one for the 10F, one for the 10D and 10E, and I don't know for the original 10" and the 9" but think that those are both the same.

Anyway, the compound and cross slide gibs are $18 each for any one piece or $30 for a pair, either 6" or 10"/12". Plus $3.50 First Class postage for CONUS, AK, HI & US Territories. That'll go up a little in January. For the rest of the world, send me a PM or email.

Last edited:
I and another member make steel cross slide and compound slide gibs for the Atlas and Craftsman 6", 10" and 12", all models made from 1934 through 1981. We originally did ones for the 6" primarily to replace the plastic ones introduced with the MK2. Then I discovered that sometime in the mid 1970's, Clausing changed to plastic ones for the 12" Commercial models, and for all replacements in older models. The compound slide gib also fits the 9" made by Atlas and sold by them and by Sears. If someone ever needed a replacement gib for an Atlas or Craftsman 9", we could probably make one of those the next time that we run a batch. I would have to get a copy of the factory drawing from Clausing, as according to the part number, the 10" and later used a different gib (10-56) from the 9" and we don't at present know what the difference is.

The cross slide gib also fits the vertical slide on the 6" and the 10"/12" milling attachment as they used the 6" or 10" and early 12" cross slide on those.

The carriage gib we haven't made as that part remained steel. If anyone ever does need one, call Clausing first. A few months ago, I bought a replacement for my 3996 (late 12") from Clausing and they had 3 or 4 more on the shelf. I didn't ask about the other sizes.. Looking at the parts lists, there is one for the late 12", one for the 10F, one for the 10D and 10E, and I don't know for the original 10" and the 9" but think that those are both the same.

Anyway, the compound and cross slide gibs are $18 each for any one piece or $30 for a pair, either 6" or 10"/12". Plus $3.50 First Class postage for CONUS, AK, HI & US Territories. That'll go up a little in January. For the rest of the world, send me a PM or email.

Hi wa5cab, do you still make these gibs?

I am pretty new to machining, at least since college, and I picked up a lathe on Cragislist and the plastic gibs are not in good shape, one is completely broken and I can't seem to find where to buy new ones. I'd happily pay you for a pair if you still make them.

Let me know if you do. I've attached a photo of the plate on my lathe and the larger plastic gib that is still intact. This one is for where the cross slide assembly meets with the saddle. The smaller one, within the cross slide itelf, has three gib screws instead of four and was mostly gone when I took the cross slide apart. Both gibs beveled on the long ends to fit in the dovetail.

Let me know what you think. Thanks very much for your time.

Jim

Gib_Plastic_1.jpgGib_Plastic_2.jpgLathe_Plate.jpg

Jim,

PM Sent. For some reason, I forgot that we were in a Forum where selling is allowed or I would have just answered here. Must have had a Senior Moment.

Back