wanting a 3 jaw chuck

im thinking I will keep researching on this and hold off 20% sale at the moment but that's will come again im sure... im guessing to check the spindle properly I would need a last word ind. I only have regular ones at this time...

You might want to research indicators before you purchase a last resort.

Rambin, your thread triggered me to look at the 4-jaw chucks at Shars for my 70 yo Atlas 618. I just clicked "Place order" a few minutes ago!

... So, I'll blame you if the chuck isn't good!! :D

Craig

I suggest not getting the 3 jaw. Just get two chuck keys, and make an indicator holder for the tool post. You can center to any level of accuracy you want, and pretty quickly. Put the money into something that increases your capabilities.

Hi Guys,

I mentioned earlier that I had just bought a backplate for my Myford, well here are the pictures of it. I'll be fitting a 5 inch three jaw Bison chuck.
It came with a leaflet showing exactly what needed machining and full dimensions.

13-09-2018-1.jpg13-09-2018-2.JPG
This one is cast Iron. It does have a couple of rust stains, but they are of no consequence.

That is a nice looking backplate-the rear spigot looks a bit long for both of my lathes but the threads look nice and the casting shows no voids-where did you get that one?

Hi Wolfram,

It came from ARC Euro here in the UK ! Its Chinese of course, but the quality is very good as is the fit.
I know they do backplates for other machines, but you will have to check with them if they do one to fit your lathe.

arceurotrade.co.uk

Rambin, your thread triggered me to look at the 4-jaw chucks at Shars for my 70 yo Atlas 618. I just clicked "Place order" a few minutes ago!

... So, I'll blame you if the chuck isn't good!! :D

Craig
well let me know how you make out, did you get the threaded backplate? How bad was the shipping?

well let me know how you make out, did you get the threaded backplate? How bad was the shipping?
I've ordered the 4-jaw, backplate and 0XA QCTP set. Shipping was $18 via UPS Ground. Supposed to be delivered by next Friday although the Status is still "Processing" right now (Saturday).

Craig
Note: I'm in Canada but I use a cross-border shopping service. I get the stuff delivered to Lewistown, NY and then drive down and pick it up. I think it is a $10 charge for a package this size. Also have to pay $4 for the toll bridge. Almost certainly have to pay tax at the border given the dollar value (although I have been waved through before). Still faster and less expensive than having it shipped across the border directly to my home.

that aint bad for shipping for something that heavy... every time I looked at there shipping for dif tools ive deleted my order

Back