Wanting Info on These Awesome Needle Files

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi Guys,
I have a bunch of usable vintage hand files, but was missing a few different sizes / types. Plus, a lot of my files were missing wood handles. Hence, I was browsing for vintage files on Ebay when I stumbled upon this listing:
Screenshot_2018-10-19-12-29-22.png
Once again, the lure of a super deal on quality vintage tools forced ;-) me to buy these. $20!#! Anyways, I just received these files today. Omg. I am stoked. I think these types are rare (but definitely can be wrong). They definitely are unusual. One file is smooth on the front and back, and only the side edges have file cutting on it. On one of the "S" shaped files, only one side of the top and bottom are for cutting. Anyways, I can't list everything about these files, but will just post some pictures.
I am hoping you guys can tell me what applications these files would most typically be used for.
To be quite honest, these seem so new for whatever age they are that I almost don't want to use them and ruin how pristine they seem, lol.

Susan

20181019_123923.jpg
20181019_123917.jpg
20181019_123907.jpg
20181019_123843.jpg
20181019_123519.jpg

The reason for no file on side is so when filing you don’t file the adjacent side or leave marks. Curved files are for getting into places. Their are curved scraper files too. Nice haul.

I own a Grobet Vallorbe set made in Switzerland and they are really great files for use in confined spaces or when you need to take very fine cuts from any metal surface. Most have safe edges so you can file a corner without marring the sides and many are curved, which allows you to round a less than round profile. These files allow for finely controlled cuts to perfect a surface, not to shape a surface. Jewelers use them a lot, as do watchmaker guys.

The last time I used them was to remove a burr in a chuck jaw slot. There was a tiny burr about 1.5" inside the slot that you could feel but was just barely visible. I was able to remove that burr with a few strokes without contacting any of the surrounding material - try that with a straight file.

Vallorbe files are expensive so you got a great deal. Store them so they don't bang against each other and they will last a very long time.

There are many types of files that machinists seldom come in contact with. I've noticed on eBay and the like that sellers seldom recognize a good tool from a junk tool. They are salesmen, not producing anything. By the way, when I was younger, Globemaster tools were sold from bins at the local market. To call them junk would be complimentary in the extreme. In 1975, a Globemaster "Japanese" socket set cost a whole $0.99. Plus tax... ...

Now, about files; There are many specialty ones for unusual applications. Most of them are not that rare, feel free to use them up or make something else out of. In particular are "warding" files, used by locksmiths. There are two(2) styles, the American and the Swiss. American format are often(usually) called Swiss by people that don't know any better. The simplest way I have found is to find the "rat tail", or circular file. Look at the taper of the cutting edges. A smooth, continuous taper is a Swiss format. The other is of one size to within an inch or so of the tip. This is the American format. I use the Swiss format for model building and small electrical work. It suits what I'm doing.far better. The Arerican format also has their uses, just not what I do.

As a casual experiment, go to Harbor Freight and look up Swiss Files and Riffler Files. The Swiss files are actually American format, but HF doesn't know any better because most buyers don't know either. The set of rifflers I have from HF is OK, but used on plastic. I wouldnt recommend them to anybody, even rank beginners, for metal working. But the styles are very descriptive of what is available. Have a check book handy though, the vendors are quite proud of good files.

Safe Edge files are often(usually) made on a grinder. They can be bought, but when you need one, it's a right now situation. No time to run to the supply house. And the cost is usually higher because they're not "standard". Watch out for many other odd names, such as "three square". Don't dare go into HF or Home Depot and ask for one though. Only use that terminology with someone that knows what you want. Actually a triangular file, three sides, that I have several of. One on the bench, one at the lathe, two alongside my trains, one at wife's woodshop. And the usual half dozen in the tool boxes. Oh yeah, most are slightly tapered, I also have a couple that are straight. Oh yeah, in your first photo, the third from the right is an unusual flat, square file. A Points File, used for smoothing up the points in a distributer. (automotive) In my day, they were "giveaways", usually with adverts on the handles. These modern days where everything is electronics, they are getting a little scarce.

This is turning into a lecture, I apologize for running on about it. There are details most people never need. But a good selection you have acquired. All useful at one time or another.

Bill Hudson​

Last edited:
Riffler, yes, but in the trade known as "Die Sinker's files." Injection molding today comes to mind, but when these first appeared on the market, (mid to late 19th century), they were for forging dies. (dies for forging items.) Used to put a fine finish on the interior of cavities.
I attended an auction which had machinist hand tools, one small Gerstner tool box was absolsutely full of them, probably thousands. I was interested, but when it started at $150.00 I lost interest, IU have no memory of what it brought. I have somewhat over a dozen I've picked up over the years. You never know when you're going to need one.

I have this set of files and use them daily. I build custom 1911s and the last thing you want when hand fitting a slide, ejector, trigger or blending job is mess up and scratch a surface you`ve already spent hours on or destroy a 8 hours mirror buffing job.. I love mine !

Back