Wanting recommendations for insert tooling

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've been grinding some HSS bit, they are all I have to use. They are working OK, but I'm spending lots of time to get them right. I know I'll never be able to do without HSS, but it sure seems like carbide insert tooling would be faster. I already have a set of CCMT boring bars. So, for general home shop use, I'm considering insert tooling. What recommendations would you make?

my lathe is a 60's Logan 12"

stay with the CCMT, style inserts, just the regular lathe tools like a SCLCR

they work well, readily available, inexpensive and with your boring bars, your stocking a common insert.

I have been using Accusize holders from Amazon, have had good luck with them on both the manual lathe and the CNC. I bought a 7 piece set for both machines. With the exception of the parting holder on the CNC, I broke it. The parting holder for the manual lathe is holding up well, but hasn't been used to part off hundreds of parts.

I stock both aluminum and steel inserts, in three different nose radii. The one I use depends on what I'm doing.

what is the advantage of those inserts?

The SCLCR (RH) and SCLCL (LH) tool holders take either/both CCMT and CCGT inserts. Both are positive rake inserts (sort of important on a lighter lathe) with chip breakers. CCGT inserts are usually uncoated inserts with a ground edge that are very sharp and are usually used for Aluminum. CCMT inserts come with all sorts of coatings and are used for ferrous applications, mostly. Inserts are common, cheap and available with nose radii suitable for general work.

The advantage of the SCLCX tool holder is that when the shank of the tool is perpendicular to the work piece, the tool can both face and turn without moving the tool. EDIT: It also allows you to turn into a shoulder and then face out due to the 5 degree positive rake geometry of the tool holder.

This is likely the most popular tool holder amongst hobby machinists because the inserts can be used in lathe tools and SCLCX boring bars. Like all inserted tools, you have to learn to use them but they work pretty good.

I use Seco and Iscar tool holders but if I just wanted to try them to see if they worked for me, I would opt for this set from PM:

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/12-turning-tool-set/

For the price, really hard to beat this deal.

Last edited:
I use Seco and Iscar tool holders but if I just wanted to try them to see if they worked for me, I would opt for this set from PM:

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/12-turning-tool-set/

For the price, really hard to beat this deal.

I agree CCXT inserts are a good, versatile insert. I use them all the time.

The PM set of holders and inserts referenced above looks like a good value. It includes the left and right hand holders. You may also want to purchase a third holder to get maximum use of the insert, The L and R holders are designed to use the 80 deg. included angles of the insert only. A third holder, SCBCR, lets you use the other two, 100 deg angle edges. I got this 12mm holder that is cheap, but works perfectly well.

Last edited:
I bought my CCXT holder from Little Machine Shop, they sell the Tormach brand lathe tools

#5609 SCLCR (right hand) 3/8”

#5610 SCLCL (left hand) 3/8”

#5613 SCMCN (neutral) 3/8”

#5615 SCLCR (right hand) 1/2”

#5616 SCLCL (left hand) 1/2”

#5619 SCMCN (neutral) 1/2”

Last edited:
Back