Wanting to power a lead screw

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
I want to power the lead screw on my Logan lathe, as I have no QCGB, and of course, will go back to the gears if I want to do any threading.
I have this controller, but don't know a lot about it, I need to know if anyone knows what motor I need to use this controller.
I am pretty sure this is a PWM controller, as talked about in this thread.
anyone know anything about this controller.
Google search did not come up with too much, although I am still looking.
here is the pictures of the controller.
it is 120 Volt input.

Phil

As allready mentioned, wiper motors, power window motors, power seat motors could be possible. It probably will be a load thing as to how hot they will run. As far as I know, window & seat motors are for intermitant use, and could be a hit and miss as to what brand will do the job.

Ive allready mentioned stepper motors, and are available for most any application you could think of for a lathe. In the USA and Canada they are not super expensive either.

http://www.kelinginc.net/ for steppers and power supply.

http://sdp-si.com/ for the timing belts/ pulleys, and couplers

Solid state 2.jpg Solid state 1.jpg

That is probably not the controller you want to use for a lead screw drive. That is basically a fancy ceiling fan speed controller. Used to control vibratory feeders. It would work pretty good to control a fan. It uses phase angle control, not PWM.

Re: wnating to power a lead screw

OK, I see, Thank you,
is there a good one on say e bay, that I could use with either a window motor, or would I be better off with a tread mill motor. Can I get a controller that will work with a tread mill cheap on e bay?
I know where I can get a tread mill motor, but he does not have the controller.
I could get the motor for next to nothing.
I don't know the specs of the motor yet. (tread mill motor)
Someone said "ford" window motors. Why is ford better than say Chevy?

That is probably not the controller you want to use for a lead screw drive. That is basically a fancy ceiling fan speed controller. Used to control vibratory feeders. It would work pretty good to control a fan. It uses phase angle control, not PWM.

Does this give you an A/C output, Like you would plug a regular fan into it?
It does have a regular 110V outlet on it.
Like you would plug into a wall.

A treadmill motor might be a bit of overkill for the lead screw drive. It would make a great spindle drive motor. There are a lot of treadmill motor controllers on ebay, I think I have heard a model number like MC60 talked about as the one to get.

I prefer Dodge myself, but then I like my Cummins engine.
:lmao: I don't really know what the difference is in the window motors. It maybe easier to adapt the output of the motor, or maybe he was just a Ford guy.

If it were me I would use a stepper motor drive. Great speed control, and good torque through out the speed range that you might run a lead screw at. And very easy to adapt.

Does this give you an A/C output, Like you would plug a regular fan into it?
It does have a regular 110V outlet on it.
Like you would plug into a wall.

Yes it does give you an AC output, unlike many light dimmers, which may give a half-wave output, this type of controller gives a full wave output that is phase angle controlled, and it has some circuitry in it that makes it a bit more stable than a light dimmer. It works by turning the power on for only part of the cycle, thus reducing the available power. It would work OK on a constant load, like a fan.

Since it's rated at 15 amps, you could plug a toaster into it for instance and control the heat, or it would run most fans that you could plug into the wall. It could also be used for a wood router speed control.

A treadmill motor might be a bit of overkill for the lead screw drive. It would make a great spindle drive motor. There are a lot of treadmill motor controllers on ebay, I think I have heard a model number like MC60 talked about as the one to get.

I prefer Dodge myself, but then I like my Cummins engine.
:lmao: I don't really know what the difference is in the window motors. It maybe easier to adapt the output of the motor, or maybe he was just a Ford guy.

If it were me I would use a stepper motor drive. Great speed control, and good torque through out the speed range that you might run a lead screw at. And very easy to adapt.

so, would a stepper motor drive run a 12 volt window or wiper motor?

Yeah, maybe I'll get that tread mill motor, and if I can get a controller, run my spindle with it, I was thinking of that too.
Will pretty much any tread mill controller run any tread mill motor?

Yes it does give you an AC output, unlike many light dimmers, which may give a half-wave output, this type of controller gives a full wave output that is phase angle controlled, and it has some circuitry in it that makes it a bit more stable than a light dimmer. It works by turning the power on for only part of the cycle, thus reducing the available power. It would work OK on a constant load, like a fan.

Since it's rated at 15 amps, you could plug a toaster into it for instance and control the heat, or it would run most fans that you could plug into the wall. It could also be used for a wood router speed control.

Well, thats good to know, I might actually tie it in to my router table then.
The router is variable speed, but I could set this up where it would be easy to get to the control.

What about something like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16118544779...m=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=161185447790&_rdc=1
I would need a power supply though, Battery charger maybe?
I thought maybe I could wire a Pot in, in place of the throttle, and use a
DPDT switch to change the rotation.
The motor says reversible.
The only thing is, sometimes you can get a treadmill for free, that would be best right now. (free)
My money is pretty tight this month.

I don't know too much about electronics as you can tell.
Electrical, a little, electronics, not so much.
I was maybe going to put a 3 phase motor and a VFD for the spindle, but a free tread mill would be nice too.
I did the 3 phase and VFD to my wood lathe.

EDIT,
Battery charger would not work, as it says 24 volts.

so, would a stepper motor drive run a 12 volt window or wiper motor?

Yeah, maybe I'll get that tread mill motor, and if I can get a controller, run my spindle with it, I was thinking of that too.
Will pretty much any tread mill controller run any tread mill motor?

What I should have said there is a stepper motor AND drive. No, that would not work. Stepper motors are 2 phase motors that are driven by varying the current between the two windings. All of the real magic happens in the stepper drive. Now, having said that, you have to have something else to tell the stepper drive what to do. The input to the drive are Step and Direction.

The direction input is not a problem, a simple ON/OFF toggle switch will do.

The step input is a different matter. Each time the input is switched from OFF to ON, the motor will rotate one step, or 1.8 degrees. This is 200 steps per revolution. So you have to have something that will switch ON and OFF really fast, and do so accurately to be able to control the speed at a constant rate. There are stepper drivers with an oscillator built in that will allow speed control from a pot. There are also stepper speed controllers that connect to a stepper driver. Here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversible-...stepping-/171122644460?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

For a complete lead screw drive system, you would need a stepper motor, a stepper drive, a stepper speed controller, and a power supply. Then also the mechanical hardware to connect the stepper motor to your lead screw.

Regarding the treadmill motor controller, you would need one rated for the motor horsepower.

what about a controller like this? To use a window motor with?
Looks like it could use 12 V input, it already has a pot,
and I would need a DPDT switch.
Sorry, like I said, I don't know too much about electronics.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-30A-DC-...359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54152db30f

Maybe if I could get one of these cheap enough, I could get an old window motor and try it, worst I could do is burn it up..........LOL

For a window motor, 2 or 3 amp battery charger should be enough; Right?

EDIT,
I just noticed they want $25.00 shipping for that controller above, it comes from China.

Last edited:
Back