Wanting to power a lead screw

What I should have said there is a stepper motor AND drive. No, that would not work. Stepper motors are 2 phase motors that are driven by varying the current between the two windings. All of the real magic happens in the stepper drive. Now, having said that, you have to have something else to tell the stepper drive what to do. The input to the drive are Step and Direction.

The direction input is not a problem, a simple ON/OFF toggle switch will do.

The step input is a different matter. Each time the input is switched from OFF to ON, the motor will rotate one step, or 1.8 degrees. This is 200 steps per revolution. So you have to have something that will switch ON and OFF really fast, and do so accurately to be able to control the speed at a constant rate. There are stepper drivers with an oscillator built in that will allow speed control from a pot. There are also stepper speed controllers that connect to a stepper driver. Here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reversible-...stepping-/171122644460?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

For a complete lead screw drive system, you would need a stepper motor, a stepper drive, a stepper speed controller, and a power supply. Then also the mechanical hardware to connect the stepper motor to your lead screw.

Regarding the treadmill motor controller, you would need one rated for the motor horsepower.

OK, so Regarding the treadmill motor controller, you would need one rated for the motor horsepower, I do understand that........LOL
The other part clear as Mud..........................
No, LOL
I sort of do understand, and I understand it would not work with the window motor. (stepper motor drive)

There are a few free tread mills up in pittsburgh, but I am trying to find one around here.

what about a controller like this? To use a window motor with?
Looks like it could use 12 V input, it already has a pot,
and I would need a DPDT switch.
Sorry, like I said, I don't know too much about electronics.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-30A-DC-...359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54152db30f

Maybe if I could get one of these cheap enough, I could get an old window motor and try it, worst I could do is burn it up..........LOL

For a window motor, 2 or 3 amp battery charger should be enough; Right?

That controller would do it. And yes, you would need a DPDT switch for FOR/REV. I'm guessing it might take at least a 10 amp battery charger. Power window motors are pretty powerful. The better method would be to use a car battery with the battery charger connected to it, even a used car battery would be better than a straight charger connection. Then you would get away with a 2 or 3 amp charger. That way the battery would provide a more constant power source.

That controller would do it. And yes, you would need a DPDT switch for FOR/REV. I'm guessing it might take at least a 10 amp battery charger. Power window motors are pretty powerful. The better method would be to use a car battery with the battery charger connected to it, even a used car battery would be better than a straight charger connection. Then you would get away with a 2 or 3 amp charger. That way the battery would provide a more constant power source.

That would be sweet, If I could find one for reasonable shipping.
Then that Pot that they have on it would give me my speed control OK, Right?
So for the reverse, do I just need a DPDT switch, I would not need any relays?
And I do understand about the battery.

Thanks for all your help.

EDIT
if I find a reasonable one, I'll check with you just to be sure it's OK.

OK, so Regarding the treadmill motor controller, you would need one rated for the motor horsepower, I do understand that........LOL
The other part clear as Mud..........................
No, LOL
I sort of do understand, and I understand it would not work with the window motor. (stepper motor drive)

There are a few free tread mills up in pittsburgh, but I am trying to find one around here.

I would not connect your variable speed router to that speed controller, the electronics in the router may not like it at all.

I think that the MC-60 treadmill controller will work with most treadmill motors. There a are a few threads on subject in H-M. There also should be a way to modify the controller on any treadmill that you get.

Looks like the same one, should work. I'll be happy to help out if I can.

Looks like the same one, should work. I'll be happy to help out if I can.

OK, thanks,
Might have to put this on a back burner for a few weeks, But I will let you know,
With Christmas, I am actually a little short right now.
I am sure I will have some questions.
thanks For your help.

These are only $10.00.
Would a cheap thing like this be any good?
Does sort of look cheap,
Wish you could just get one here for $10.00 and try it.
This china shipping takes forever though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-24V-PWM...437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d43cdc57d
$%28KGrHqJHJC%21E9r%28d7UysBPlZGYMd2w%7E%7E60_12.JPG
9V24-2.jpg
Or this one here, looks like those other ones, but it's only $20.00. and free shipping
15 amp, must be why its cheaper. 15 amp should be enough; right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-15A-DC-...338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d01916fc2

$%28KGrHqR,%21lwE9KBdbvOZBPv-fMvsL%21%7E%7E60_57.JPG

9V24-2.jpg

9V24-2.jpg

9V24-2.jpg

I'll give that one a maybe. It's only 10 amp rated, normally with Chinese stuff I de-rate by about 50%. Your window motor might draw more than 10 amps.

Normally I get stuff from China within 2 weeks, sometimes faster. With Christmas coming up, it could take a little longer.

I'll give that one a maybe. It's only 10 amp rated, normally with Chinese stuff I de-rate by about 50%. Your window motor might draw more than 10 amps.

Normally I get stuff from China within 2 weeks, sometimes faster. With Christmas coming up, it could take a little longer.

Are you talking about the top one for $10.00 or the bottom one for $20.00?
Or so I'd be better off with one of the ones that were I think 30 Amp?

Yeah, it was 30 amp, heck, its only about $7.00 more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171558924780?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Back