Wanting to power a lead screw

A little update on the little PWM controller... hooked it up to a good 12v power supply (had to get one from a local HAM radio store), and by gosh it works! Well mostly... only forward but not in reverse. I plan on running 4 -.4A brushless computer case fans with it so reverse, I don't need, a regular DC motor probably wouldn't be a problem.

wonder why the reverse isn't working?

if you reverse the wires to the fan, does it reverse?

Sounds like you're getting it going, great! So, you'll just connect the PWM to the High then?

Think you mentioned not liking ordering from Amazon earlier because of shipping... I did too before my son told me about Prime. We kind of balked at it at first... but really amazed how many and varied purchases we've made through Prime now. 2 day shipping, lotsa times things were delivered next day. I remember seeing a door motor recently when I wasn't looking for one and think I remember it was like $15.

Sounds like you're getting it going, great! So, you'll just connect the PWM to the High then?

Yeah, when it gets here. I hope the reverse works on this one. I still have to order the power supply and extend the leadscrew somehow too.
I was thinking of removing the leadscrew and center drilling it in the lathe, and then drilling and taping for 1/4 20. Then taking a piece of 1/2" stock about 1 1/2" long, and center drilling and drilling through
it for a 1/4" cap head screw. wish I had a 1/4" ream to do the final sizing.
I have to look in this one box I have, with any luck, I might have one.
I did nick the leadscrew with a file, and it seems like it should drill OK.
Too bad Logan had not made the leadscrew a few inches longer, but I guess there was no real reason to.
I would think I will use the high end, it is nice to have both speeds, to try the other speed if needed.

Think you mentioned not liking ordering from Amazon earlier because of shipping... I did too before my son told me about Prime. We kind of balked at it at first... but really amazed how many and varied purchases we've made through Prime now. 2 day shipping, lotsa times things were delivered next day. I remember seeing a door motor recently when I wasn't looking for one and think I remember it was like $15.

Yeah, but I thought amazon prime was something like $150.00 a year?
If not, then maybe I would consider it.
Whats nice is that motor on my car can be changed without removing the regulator.
Really the $35.00 minimum is not too bad, but a lot of times it was easier to meet the $25.00 minimum than $35.00.
and l hate to add something I don't really need, just to get free shipping.
On that note, shipping has somewhat gotten out of hand everywhere.

Yeah, when it gets here. I hope the reverse works on this one. I still have to order the power supply and extend the leadscrew somehow too.
I was thinking of removing the leadscrew and center drilling it in the lathe, and then drilling and taping for 1/4 20. Then taking a piece of 1/2" stock about 1 1/2" long, and center drilling and drilling through
it for a 1/4" cap head screw. wish I had a 1/4" ream to do the final sizing.
I have to look in this one box I have, with any luck, I might have one.
I did nick the leadscrew with a file, and it seems like it should drill OK.
Too bad Logan had not made the leadscrew a few inches longer, but I guess there was no real reason to.
I would think I will use the high end, it is nice to have both speeds, to try the other speed if needed.

Sounds like a good reasonable plan to me

Yeah, but I thought amazon prime was something like $150.00 a year?
If not, then maybe I would consider it.
Whats nice is that motor on my car can be changed without removing the regulator.
Really the $35.00 minimum is not too bad, but a lot of times it was easier to meet the $25.00 minimum than $35.00.
and l hate to add something I don't really need, just to get free shipping.
On that note, shipping has somewhat gotten out of hand everywhere.

Just checked:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DBYBNEE/ref=nav_joinprmlogo/184-8450786-9120247

30-day free trial. After your free trial, Amazon Prime is just $99/year.
Cancel anytime.

Amazon even has this motor, if you only wanted 1 speed.
50 RMP this one is.
http://www.amazon.com/Wondermotor-R...cp_6_NZCS?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Q888SY2MTBJSDRN2MXB

That's probably the one I would get with pulleys probably closer to 1:1 than like on mine which spins to 130 rpm. Sounds like the purchasers had good experience with the seller too, always a good sign...

Yeah, my doctor said she has Amazon prime, but they buy a lot on line,
and from amazon.
I think I am just going to use regular v belt and pulleys, thats what pete222 did on his Atlas.
I got the piece made tonight for the motor, piece of 1/2" stock, drilled to 17/64, tapped out to 8mmX 1.25
and then counter bored, to clear the un-threaded "hub" part of the wiper motor spindle.
you can see what I mean in the pictures.
I snuck up on the final size of the counter bore so it would be a close fit to the un-threaded part of the motor spindle, to help strengthen it.
The one picture shows the piece only threaded on a few threads, then the other picture shows it threaded on all the way.

Disregard the belt adjustment question in the last picture.

DSCN0121.JPG DSCN0116.JPG DSCN0115.JPG Atlas Pulley mr pete..jpg

I'm still waiting for the PWM unit, and have to R&R the read screw, and drill & tap for my extension.
Found a tread mill motor for free, well trading a rasp for it, but didn't pick it up yet, and found a controller on e bay for $35.00.
Guess I'll have to buy a pot and a DPDT switch.
This is for the spindle now.

I'm still waiting for the PWM unit, and have to R&R the read screw, and drill & tap for my extension.
Found a tread mill motor for free, well trading a rasp for it, but didn't pick it up yet, and found a controller on e bay for $35.00.
Guess I'll have to buy a pot and a DPDT switch.
This is for the spindle now.

Got the lead screw done tonight, and a rack for my files I have been threatening to do.
Pulled the lead screw, dialed it in, to about a thou, or so, and faced it off and center drilled,
tapped for 1/4 20.
here is a vid showing it, no big thing really, shows the disaster area one side, and shows the woodshop side briefly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vQ9nUAHIhA&feature=youtu.be

Back