Wanting to power a lead screw

mrbreezeet1---sorry I didn't see your thread sooner----I see you are having problems with your power and control---If you search out the thread that Nels started----SHOW US YOUR LOGAN LATHES!---and on the second page #50 on Dave Smith reply--you will see my neat simple powering of the lead screw----the little transmission has quick forward--neutral-- reverse lever----- and lever for speed from very slow to fast for quick return of carriage---you can change direction at fast speed without a problem----it is an old transmission out of unknown unit to me---I can look to see if I can find any identfication numbers on it-----------another simpler unit you can use besides an electric motor---is an air motor----you would have plenty of power---quick direction change and variable speed with simple ball valve on the exhaust side of motor---if you run your exhaust air out a length of garden type hose to outside of your shop there would not be noise problem----I probably have at least 50 air motors in many sizes to choose from for my projects----but you can pick them up on internet for under $50 dollars that would work for your power---as long as you have an adequate air compressor this method may be answer to your electric motor control problems-----maybe another one of all our members can recognize the nice little transmission on my lathe and remember what they were used on------Dave

I want to power the lead screw on my Logan lathe, as I have no QCGB, and of course, will go back to the gears if I want to do any threading.
I have this controller, but don't know a lot about it, I need to know if anyone knows what motor I need to use this controller.
I am pretty sure this is a PWM controller, as talked about in this thread.
anyone know anything about this controller.
Google search did not come up with too much, although I am still looking.
here is the pictures of the controller.
it is 120 Volt input.

Jim, I don't suppose I could use this on my 110 V Drill press motor?
The one you said was for a fan?

Jim, I don't suppose I could use this on my 110 V Drill press motor?
The one you said was for a fan?

I don't think it would work well as a speed controller on a drill press or any other variable torque device. Also, if you did use it on the drill press, you would have to start it at full power, and then turn it down a bit. You would have to make sure that the motor is always turning fast enough that centrifugal switch stays open so it doesn't drop into the start windings and burn up the motor.

My recommendation is don't try to use it for a drill press.

OK Thanks Jim, I didn't think so.
That Craftsman 150 is a pain to change the belt on.
I guess you just saw, I got some help on hooking up a spdt switch, to use the 2 speeds on the motor I have , I think it is around 1100, and 1800.
I think before my Logan lathe gets a tread mill motor for the spindle, the Craftsman 150 DP will get it first.

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Re: Wanting to power a lead screw/ Treadmill motor for DP

Yeah, maybe tomorrow, I will take a ride and pick up the motor.
Then I need to get a controller. Guess I will have to buy a pot, but won't need the dpdt switch this time for the DP, as I won't need reverse.

I'm meeting him Christmas to get the treadmill motor.
Now, these m-60 controllers,
will that have the power supply in it, and then what all else will I need?
I am guessing a Pot, and maybe a On off switch, and maybe a dpdt switch if I want reverse.
There are some m-60 controllers on e bay for about $35.00.
There is this controller,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-KB-Electronics-DC-Motor-Control-KBMD-240D-9370-/291194107259

but looks like if all I need is the m-60 controller, and a Pot, and a few switches, the m-60 will be the cheaper way to go.

How do I have to wire this controller to get around this defaulting back to the slowest speed every time l shut it down and restart?
read something about removing the center tap on the pot, and putting a switch, but there was not too much detail.

Got my PWM unit today for the leadscrew project, so I will have to get busy on that.

EDIT

Was reading comments and watching a video on you tube, fellow says you break the center wire of your pot, the Wiper wire, and put a spst switch in that wire.
And that should allow you to turn the motor off, and back on, and resume at the speed you had when you shut it off.

Still have to get the TM motor, as stated I am supposed to meet him Christmas.
The m-60 board will probably be OK for this motor, but I want to see the specs and check with you Jim, before I order the board. I read to use a 5 to 10K pot, does that sound about right?

Don't think l am going to worry about reverse for the drill press, they say it is nice for tapping, but right now, I don't do a lot of taping, and what I do do, I can hand tap.

Last edited:
Think I said I got my PWM unit finally yesterday.
Hooked up everything on the bench, and it is all working.
This little unit if you recall, has the speed pot and the forward/off/reverse switch all included in.
The power supply, has a 110 220 volt option, and I had it on 220 by mistake at first, but it was funny, it worked the same with the selector set to 110 or 220.
there is a little trim pot, to increase the voltage, I forget what % they claimed, but I went from out of the box at 12.23 volts to 13.90 volts after cranking up the trim screw,
So, got to rig up my mounting brackets, and get some pulleys, and a box, and get everything all wired and hooked up.

here is You tube video running it on bench.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2uPZePlCYk&feature=youtu.be

Back