Warco Enco Gh1440a Lathe

Many years ago I had a moment of distraction when cutting threads and crashed a lathe whilst the ship was in the middle of the pacific, needless to say the CE was not best pleased. A few weeks later he showed me the safe way to cut a thread. I have been using it ever since. I found this the other day and I thought you may find it of interest.

Fine for the lathe's native threads, I suppose, but disengaging the leadscrew WILL put it out of sync' if you're e.g. cutting metric on an Imperial machine

Dave H. (the other one)

Hi
Thanks for the info, i may never need to cut whit threads, but i may, when i used a lathe all threads where Whit or BSF, a UNC or UNF was the odd one out, lol
Metric had not been invented, not in the UK at that time.
It is a Metric leadscrew, 6mm i think, with it having TPI & the 127t gear i thought it would be simple, ( bit like me in my old age), i can cope with the half-nut engaged, if i have to lol.

jeff

Nice lathe , it's the size and model type I always wanted . I love the cover on the lead screw . Does it get any lube since its covered ? Looks like brand new too. Not used very much for sure. Wish I could find enough work to pay for one . But no worries till after the surgery anyway. Hope and pray by spring ill be up and moving gaining some strength and lost movement. Good luck with your new baby sures nice .

Nice lathe , it's the size and model type I always wanted . I love the cover on the lead screw . Does it get any lube since its covered ? Looks like brand new too. Not used very much for sure.
Hi
Thanks, It is the biggest i can fit in my workshop, i was saving up for a mill & this came at the right price, so the mill has to wait.
spent nearly as much on a VFD & motor, s/h Aloris tool-post 10 tool holders.
It is in very good condition & all the bits. Bad health has stopped me from time to time, but i will get it finished in the next 3-4 weeks.

jeff

Hi Printcom
This may help on the oil.
I can get slideway oil cheap in 20 lts about £25-30 but you will have to pick up in Manchester.
I may be able to get gear box oil, i need some for my lathe.

Oil Cross Reference Chart.jpg

sorry it is a bad photo.

Acer lathe oil chart.jpg

jeff

Last edited:
After doing a bit of research it appears that the nearest alternative for Shell Tellus 27 is 32 Hydraulic oil which is great as I use that in my digger.

Hi Jeff,
My mate has given me a GH-1440A lathe identical to yours.
The issue I have is that all of the markings for all of the knobs, feed screws controls and other data is no longer readable so I'm having some trouble.
Could I trouble you for some close up photos of each of the front panels showing this data and I will endeavor to make some of these data plates or at least in the interim print of your photos and laminate them so I can use the auto feed and have the threading data available and use it to its full potential. Its a bit difficult working out what is what at present. Thank you for the manual... most helpful and sets me in the right direction.
You can see from the photo what I'm up against.
Cheers from Australia

Attachments

• GH-1440A.jpg
    GH-1440A.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi
Hear is some to get you going.

Attachments

• CIMG0150.JPG
    CIMG0150.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • CIMG0152.JPG