Warco Enco Gh1440a Lathe

jeff_g1137

Active User
Registered
GH1440A 1.JPG Hi
I am thinking of getting a warco 1440 lathe , it is the same as the Enco 1340 or 1440.
what do you think ??????????
Any info on the lathe would be great, is it any good or bad ?????
I have to bid on it this week, so please be quick, likes dislikes, any thing. lol

Last edited:
My Enco 1340 has different gear shifting leavers and some differences in the carriage but I am sure they will do the same functions.
Looking at the picture I get the impression the chucks and face-plate are threaded, my Enco has the D1-3 back plate.
The Warco has five accessories I did not get, a carriage stop, a work light, a foot stop bar, a shielded threading lead screw and a chip shield.
What type of power does the Warco require, 120 or 240 volt? and the weight may influence your decision.
Good Luck
Ray

Hi Ray
It has a D1-4 spindle, & has a 2 speed motor 440v.
Weight is 750 kg, 3/4 of a ton.
How long have you had yours, is it a good machine.

Jeff

It is a good machine, I have had it three years, not finished as well as some of the USA manufactured machines and it does require a certain amount of "getting used to". I like the 1-3/8" in bore in the spindle and the slower carriage speeds available. So far it has not lacked power or functionality. It has larger dials on the adjustment screws than my Clausing which is a plus. Not sure why the problem with the carriage clamp left the factory; the clamp would not hold the carriage while doing facing work. I cured the problem by replacing the existing flat strap clamp with an angle iron (more L shaped) unit. I also added shelving in the bottom of the cabinets so heavy items would not have to be lifted 3 inches to get them out of the cabinet.
Have a good day
Ray

Hi
I won the lathe, paid £1800 + vat 20% £360, $3300
It is in good nick, all the bits are there, its like new. :big grin:
It will be delivered in 2 weeks, i will post photos.
I have to get the garage sorted out first,

Hi
The lathe arrived today, over the moon,:grin::grin: the last 3-4 mills i was looking at got away.
I spent a week sorting out the garage out to make more room for the lathe.
I now have to sell my old one a Denford viceroy 10 x 22 lathe, i never got around the get it running,
I will get some photos this week, but now i have the jobs on the house to get done (pay back for the wife).

jeff:cheerful:

Hi

The lathe arrived but I did not get any photos, it was raining

& we had to get it indoors fast.

This is my workshop after 2 weeks of moving things about,

to make more room for the lathe. The workshop this only 24ft x 12ft, all the crap went in the 3 sheds I have.

workshop.jpg

This is, The seat of power, lol I have a bad back, so I sit as often

as I can.

seat of power.jpg

My welding table.

welding bench.jpg

My toolboxes.

my new toolbox.jpg

every thing is on wheels.jpg

The lathe is in the top of the workshop, it is the only place it can go & still leave room for working on my bike & welding.

Plan.JPG

Photos of the lathe

new lathe.jpg

lathe head.jpg

chuck 3 & 4 jaw.jpg

carriage.jpg

cross slide & tool post.jpg

tailstock.jpg

change gears.jpg

tool kit & paint + mt3 to mt5.jpg

All for now
jeff

Last edited:
Hi
This is the best manual I have found on the GH1440 lathe.

Hope somebody finds it useful.

Attachments

• 3001-0015_c127 GH1440.pdf
    24.4 MB · Views: 86
Hi

Today I checked all the change gears, made certain all the gears are there & the right number of teeth, most of the gears have not been used.

It came with a small toolkit & paint.

Now I have to set up my VFD to run the motor, the motor is two speed, do I use the fast or the slow speed, ???
The fast speed is 2 pole & the slow is 4 pole.

Back