Warco Enco Gh1440a Lathe

I don't know much, close to nothing, about the motors but it seems to have good ratings.

I have the same lathe, albeit not as pretty as yours. If it helps I looked into all sort of phase inverter options as I only have access to single phase supply. This was a few years ago and I cant remember exactly what the problem was but it was something due the way they are wound the two speed motor caused issues with a phase inverter. I ended up using a 4Kw rotary converter which I found on ebay for silly money.

Hi printcom
I had to buy a new motor £167 + vat to work with my VFD.
All the rotary converters on eBay was £600-900.
jeff

Good going on the new lathe Jeff. Doesn't look like it was used very much. Welcome aboard.

Hi Jeff,
Ouch, I must have been lucky as I found a Boost Energy systems A4 for £250, The bonus is that I use it for the mill and bandsaw as well. I have only just found this forum, looks like a good place to be.

Hi printcom
Yes, one of the best forum's.
I have just got a s/h Aloris tool post & 10 tool holder for it, the holders are from the China via USA, will get them on the lathe in the next 2-3 weeks,
i am waiting for a Aluminum Extrusion to come, i have 25 tool holder brackets from Jay, off this forum, when i get the extrusion i will fit it to the back of the lathe.
Have you changed the oil in the lathe yet, if so what oil & iso.
How long have you had your lathe, is it a Warco.

Hi Bob
Thanks yes it is like new, & all there.

jeff

Hi Jeff
You will enjoy that, a QC toolpost makes all the difference. I have a Dickson type on mine but could do with a few more tool holders.
I was going to ask you about the oil, I am not sure what is a alternative for Shell Tellus. More research needed.
No its not a Warco. I believe it was sold as a BSA 1440 when I got it about 3 years ago.
I know that a lot of folk knock the Chinese lathes but compared to a knackered Harrison M300 I used to use its a Rolls Royce. The only complaint I have is that it can be a faff to change feed speeds and the spindle speeds dont have much in the way of a positive indication. Oh, and I really, really need a bigger spindle bore.
I will post a few photos later on.

Hi
What size is the spindle bore, on my lathe it is 38mm, 1"1/2.

33913113900_6a3dfcf6a1_o.jpg
It will look like this, but i only have 11 BXA holders. lol
CIMG0154.JPG
GN1440a 22.jpg
This is how i got it,

Jeez Jeff, I haven't got that many tools:) I will post some photos tomorrow (after cleaning it up I'm ashamed to say) Yes my spindle bore is the same but for some reason the farmers around here only seem to break the stuff that is bigger than that. I am in the process of moving, when that is sorted I am considering one of Warco's GH-1660's or possibly larger.
This is what it looked like when I first got it.lathe.jpg

Back