Warner Swasey Turret Lathe 1928 What was the original color?

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Got the question in the title. It is now blue but I want to refurb and paint original color.

More than likely for that time period of 1920's, black. Another color that was starting to show on machines was a light-medium gray.

Here is how it is now. From all the pictures I have looked at I think it is a medium grey. Maybe black, I'll have to scrape down some to check that. I was hoping someone would have an official paint code or name.

new5.jpg

new5.jpg

new5.jpg

I see this all the time on this forum and others, too.

Why does it matter to paint it the original color it was from the factory?

Most of the old paint colors used way back then are not that great, much less pleasing, as newer colors used today.

Paint it what ever color you want. Make it pleasing to your eyes.

Rustolum makes a color that I started using on my machines that is called "smoke gray". It's kind of a color that is very similar to the old "machine tool gray" And it looks very nice!

4gsr,

I believe over in Practical Machinist, they have a Warner & Swasey section, You might want to check, What model is your machine? as it looks a small machine as these machines go, A factory I used to visit in Glasgow Scotland had a line of Warners, these machines may have been lease lend dating from 1939-45 war period, They were a dark grey colour

Look after your machine they are good & impressive items of machinery

Question did you mount the quick change tool holder in place of the 4 way tool post that was stock? The one that I ran in the the late 70's was green.

Question did you mount the quick change tool holder in place of the 4 way tool post that was stock? The one that I ran in the the late 70's was green.

Yes i mounted the quick change tool post, milled the base for right height. Makes it much easier to use than shimming and measuring too height

4gsr,

I believe over in Practical Machinist, they have a Warner & Swasey section, You might want to check, What model is your machine? as it looks a small machine as these machines go, A factory I used to visit in Glasgow Scotland had a line of Warners, these machines may have been lease lend dating from 1939-45 war period, They were a dark grey colour

Look after your machine they are good & impressive items of machinery

I did post in the Warner Swasey Alumni section on Practical Machinist. That section is very slow, no answer on the color question there.

This is a WS number 4 Serial dates it to 1928

I see this all the time on this forum and others, too.

Why does it matter to paint it the original color it was from the factory?

Most of the old paint colors used way back then are not that great, much less pleasing, as newer colors used today.

Paint it what ever color you want. Make it pleasing to your eyes.

Rustolum makes a color that I started using on my machines that is called "smoke gray". It's kind of a color that is very similar to the old "machine tool gray" And it looks very nice!

Thanks for the post. I agree original is not as important than what I think looks good. Good suggestion on the color. Ill probably go with a medium grey.

I know it is a lower value machine but it all works as it should and I like it. I think the old heavy metal is great. Very stout machine, i can take deep cuts and it always takes it no problem. I like the fact that shops with row after row of these helped win WWII.

That is a nice lathe! I ran one similar years ago and I loved that thing. I can still smell the way oil smoking coming off the parting tool! :)

Back