Warning: Children do not try this at home, even with adult supervision!

Several parts must be replaced every time that saw is stopped like that. Costs over $200 a pop. And I have read that even damp wood, or green wood can set it off. Cool idea, and better than losing a finger or two....but I think I'll just continue to be careful.

That is really impressive. I had heard of these before. If I were to buy a table saw, I would likely get one... known too many people who ended up with their fingers on the floor because of a table saw.

We have 3 of these in our woods lab at a university. They actually work just like the demo. They will pop for green wood or if you hit any metal in the wood or if the saw gets bound up any. We pop 2 to 3 cartridges a semester almost always for a false reason. But the 1 or so a year that are really fingers make it worth every $0.01. There is a way to turn the sensor off so that you can cut green or wet wood. Even without the cool safety feature the ones we have are the smoothest table saws I have ever seen. They are dead quite when they run and raising or tilting the blade feels like moving a mill table it is so smooth. Very well made machinery.

Jeff

Mention Saw Stop in a wood working forum and it's like throwing gasoline on a fire.
The technology is neat. So are the mechanics. The Saw Stop trunion is quite different than a normal table saw. There is an extra arm that pivots from the back of the trunion that holds the arbor and blade. So this requires one additional belt. The pivot point of this arm acts like a fuse. It is normally locked, but when the cartridge fires and jams the front of the blade, the momentum of the blade causes the locked pivot point to "break" and the blade instantly pivots down and back.
The cartridge uses a soft aluminum piece that is driven into the blade by a mondo spring. Normally the spring is held back by a fusible link inside the spring. The electronics package blows this fuse and releases the cartridge.
Neat stuff, but Saw Stop's political actions is what is making woodworkers angry. Steve Gass has spent thousands of dollars promoting his device to the CSPC. He is demanding that ALL table saws use this type of protection device. A device he has the patent on (remember, he is a patent attorney). He had tried to license his invention to most all table saw manufacturers, but they saw the costs and maintenance issues. In a lawsuit a few years ago a person who was misusing a table saw was awarded over a million dollars from Ryobi, because they claimed Ryobi should have installed the Saw Stop device in their machine. Guess who was the main person behind this?
I think the idea is good, but I wouldn't have it on my machine. The riving knife has done much to prevent kick-backs, and that's where most of the injuries originate.

I don't really think the entire idea is to prevent all injuries, but to mitigate the damage. 8 teeth chewing into your palm and stopping and pulling away sounds much better than 8000 teeth while you think about jerking back.

Well Dave, I eat catfish with my fingers, and she best leave them alone, or we'll have a problem!:biggrin:

My Dad was a Master carpenter all his life and never lost a finger, and i have all kinds of saws and still have all my fingers and I'm no carpenter, but I am a safety nut.
But if they start putting this safey device on all the saws in schools in the USA I can see Tax's going up every where, :nono:

My Dad was a Master carpenter all his life and never lost a finger, and i have all kinds of saws and still have all my fingers and I'm no carpenter, but I am a safety nut.
But if they start putting this safey device on all the saws in schools in the USA I can see Tax's going up every where, :nono:

What will really suck is if they mandate it for schools and workplaces, they will probably also demand all the current equipment to be destroyed to "protect" the public from it. Lots of great iron to the scrap yards.

Back