Warning--- Drilling

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
This is for the newbie and pro alike. What you see there is one continuous chip created by a 1" drill bit. It is the size of a baseball and as sharp as anything you can come up with. It will tear you up in a heartbeat. If you see one start to form, STOP THE MACHINE and clear it. It does not like you. A trip to the ER is not fun.

"Billy G" 102_0947 (900 x 598).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i instantly thought the "red" was the result. . . i had some of that of stainless steel. deadly. .

On some drills I put a V in the middle of the flute with the corner of a grinding wheel, like the edge of a roughing endmill, and it helps break chips. Birds nests are dangerous for sure!!!

As Tony noted, that's one of the main reasons we "peck" as we drill: to break up the chips and clear them (as well as momentarily cooling the cutting edge)! You are absolutely correct in pointing out the danger of that stringy mess (also very scary when it happens in a lathe).

Randyc i had a nest happen when my 7yr old boy was on lathe.
stopped lathe and asked him how to get rid of it, he said " just pull it off " giving that what a stupid question dad look.
so i got a rag and glove then pulled it off and showed him rag was shredded, he looked at his hand then back to rag and had worried look on his face.
now if he goes on lathe he makes sure he as glove and pair of pliers.
and he turns it off at wall before he touches anything.

I use intermittant cuts with the down feed handle. Then you have short pieces and also give
the bit a chance to cool some. Deep holes require a lot of up and down with the feed handle
to keep the hole clear.

Yes that some new to drilling
Just lift the drill from time to time wield drilling this how most machinist do to stop the ball from forming
You can grinded a chip breaker in drill bit but as you sharpen the drill you have grinded past the chip breaker

Dave

This is for the newbie and pro alike. What you see there is one continuous chip created by a 1" drill bit. It is the size of a baseball and as sharp as anything you can come up with. It will tear you up in a heartbeat. If you see one start to form, STOP THE MACHINE and clear it. It does not like you. A trip to the ERR is not fun.

"Billy G" View attachment 98137

Back