[Noteworthy] WARNING! Phase II dividing plate manufacturing error.

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just bought a Phase II dividing plate kit for my 8 inch rotary table to make the needed change gears for my Logan lathe. After making a scrap piece I discovered that the plate for the 64 hole circle is made incorrectly. It only has 63 holes. I just want to alert anyone that has recently purchased a Phase II dividing plate kit to make sure they have good plates. It appears that the this is a wide spread problem with the new plates. I also found that all the other hole circles are correct, it was just the 64. I just wanted to alert you as you may not notice this error if you do not use that division in the plate right a way. I also discovered that the a 63 division is not of much value either. Good luck everyone.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it also affects those inexpensive dividing heads currently offered on Ebay?
-M

The highest hole count on my "inexpensive dividing head currently offered on eBay" is 49. The plates are very straightforward, and it would be only a tiny task with a mill+DRO to make one of about any count.

Thank you, Sir, for the heads up. While I do not have (or need) this particular dividing head or fraction plate, it is for this very reason I stay in fairly constant contact with this board, among others. A widely distributed knowledge base is a known (sometimes) advantage to any craft.

As a recent disciple of things dividing head and index plate related (see my various 127 gear threads), I am wondering if the drilling is wrong, or the label. It would strike me that a 63 circle, with prime roots of both 7 and 3, would be more useful than 64, which is just a power of 2. This is, of course, said in a vacuum of not knowing what other circles are available or even the worm ratio.

EDIT

I just ran the numbers for my project as a test. Four gears, 127, 120, 40, and 28. 40:1 worm ratio. 127, being divinely prime, requires a 127 index. 40 requires exactly one turn of the worm, any pattern will do. Both 28 and 120 can be done on a 63 index, neither can be done with 64.

Last edited:
WOW! THAT'S HUGE! Good catch I would have been so ticked if I spent many an hour making a part just to do the last step and index/drill it and find something was WAY off. I'd caulk it up to I'm an idiot..reality would be I'm an idiot for buying Phase II! Just kidding I have their QCTP, but no quality control on that? I did find my indexing head degree marks for head tilting is about a degree off..that's a problem.

And it dawned on me late last night you are talking about indexers, not dividing heads. The vacuum is strong in this one.

WOW! THAT'S HUGE! Good catch I would have been so ticked if I spent many an hour making a part just to do the last step and index/drill it and find something was WAY off. I'd caulk it up to I'm an idiot..reality would be I'm an idiot for buying Phase II! Just kidding I have their QCTP, but no quality control on that? I did find my indexing head degree marks for head tilting is about a degree off..that's a problem.

Yeah, imagine my surprise when I just finished cutting a 32 tooth gear and the last tooth was way thin. It was a little frustrating to find out I had done everything correctly and still not sure why I had scrap. The last resort was to count holes, yup one short.

Wow thanks for the heads up. I wonder if it also affects those inexpensive dividing heads currently offered on Ebay?
-M

In fact, I bought mine on Ebay and requested they just send me a corrected plate and they responded that their entire inventory was wrong and could not.

And it dawned on me late last night you are talking about indexers, not dividing heads. The vacuum is strong in this one.

Yeah, I think we all can admit to these type of moments. Sorry for the confusion. I fixed the post.

Back