Was this worth it?

Truebane

Active User
Registered
So I just bought this nifty little guy from my local Jewelers while they were looking at a piece in my shop.

IMG_1371.JPGIMG_1372.JPG

It says a Peerless on one end and Marshall on the other, with a Racine 1/16 hp motor on it. It works. :thumbsup:

They claim that there are more parts to come when they can get them out of storage...

I payed $300 for it (and sold a piece to them to boot). Was that price good, bad, or about right?

Karl

IMG_1371.JPG IMG_1372.JPG

Looks like it is set up for polishing. That doesn't seem like a bad price, could be a good price depending on what extra parts they come up with. Collets would be nice, as would a tool rest. You are really going to want the tail stock too.

Of course, if you have other machines, you could probably make replacements, and the collets are likely WW collets, which are available for purchase (I recommend you pull out the one that is in there and check it).

So I just bought this nifty little guy from my local Jewelers while they were looking at a piece in my shop.

View attachment 58648View attachment 58649

It says a Peerless on one end and Marshall on the other, with a Racine 1/16 hp motor on it. It works. :thumbsup:

They claim that there are more parts to come when they can get them out of storage...

I payed $300 for it (and sold a piece to them to boot). Was that price good, bad, or about right?

Karl

Hi Karl,
I am well acquainted with WW 8mm lathes. Unless you get a tail stock that matches the head stock you may have alignment problems if you are using it for watch or clock repair and it is somewhat over priced. You also need a tool rest for it to be of any use and a few collets included are a must. Check fleabay under watchmakers lathes and look at current prices. Collets are available on fleabay but thay can be pricey.
Les

Back