Waste

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So it occurs to me that machining creates a lot of waste metal.

What do folks do with the swarf and chips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If small amounts I just toss it in the trash. But from my CNC equipment, that all goes to the scrap yard because it's clean chips.

Recycle all of it.
In our area, Schnitzer Steel has a free drop area for anyone to use so I run all my stuff down there. Red metals I’ll take in for cash at Ellice when I get enough, but the price for aluminum is so small I don’t bother and it just goes into the mixed bin at Schnitzer.

-frank

All mine goes into the trash.
I cast aluminium and brass but the chips are usually so mixed with other metals that I dont bother trying to melt them,

I save mine in barrels and take it to the local scrap recycler once a year.
Cheers
Martin

Recycle all of it.
In our area, Schnitzer Steel has a free drop area for anyone to use so I run all my stuff down there. Red metals I’ll take in for cash at Ellice when I get enough, but the price for aluminum is so small I don’t bother and it just goes into the mixed bin at Schnitzer.

-frank

Thanks Frank, where do you buy from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey David, most of the time from Metals Supermarkets on Keating. Not the best for price, but they are more than happy to sell you how much or how little you want. I buy enough for what I need and then extra, that way I build a small inventory on hand.
I used to buy from Island Plate but that’s not really their game, and I’m a small fish for them so I gave it up. I’m trying to find a place for some of the more out of the ordinary stuff though — 1144, 7075, etc just to try it but it’s pretty tough here and shipping is a killer from out of country. Nobody carries Durabar here, and even 12L14 is looking to be doomed because not many customers want it. I’m looking at a place in Ontario and also in Alberta but haven’t made serious enquires yet.
But I’ll tell ya, if you want to buy tea this is the town!

-frank

Ok the tea comment is well timed as we just bought loose tea today :)

I have bought some steel recently from Island Metal Craft. Dimensional stuff, angle and rectangular tubing I don't think they sell solid stock as their business is railings and such.

I need to learn more about metal types and grades I think...

I would suggest you guys try to make friends with the owner of a local machine shop. I have a shop here that will sell me offcuts and/or include my order with theirs when they place one with their supplier.

Most of the time these guys are happy to help out a hobbyist but if someone isn't then move on to to the next one.

Cheers,

John

Back