Watchcraft Motor Switch

atlas ten

Registered
Registered
I bought a watchmaker lathe last summer from a machinist i worked with for cheap. Could not pass up on my first ever lathe. It is a G Boley with watchcraft motor. It came with spring winder, poising tool, selection of staking tools, large seitz jewel setting tool, ww collets, rheostat. Also cam with a homemade compound slide. Slide is stamped on backside with maker and labeled pallet resurface tool. I may try to modify into to hold graving tool. not sure what how it is used. Cutter hight is to low as it is. I am finding that the reverse switch on the motor is not wanting to work in one direction. Has anyone taken one of these motors apart? I'm thinking that I will just put a stand alone reverse switch on it.

Just break into it. I'm sure you can diagnosis what is wrong. Likely dirty contacts. It should like you got a nice kit. Put some pics up, please. Don't try to to off too much, low cutter height for a reason. Good luck

I'm home now for the weekend. Took a few pics of my lathe and tooling it came with.uploadfromtaptalk1428111898305.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428112040553.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428112413082.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428112483095.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428112727393.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428112928138.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428113004960.jpg
I purchased the 3 jaw chuck and hss bits separately.
uploadfromtaptalk1428113297833.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428113459861.jpg

Total investment is about $200.

Jack

Last edited:
Wow! $200 Seriously? That is an awesome purchase and worth a lot..I mean a lot more than $200.

David

Like adding a 0 and maybe double again. The cuck was most expensive at $120 with shipping.
The guy sold Seitz box to me for 10 but i gave him 20 and keep the change. The rest of it i offered 50 but he said no then counters with 40 so was a definite yes. He had originally planned to sell me an old atlas type lathe for $150 with 3 jaw 4 jaw chucks and other stuff but he later made excuse it was his cousins lathe and never sold it.
I plans to use it for model trains and model engines. I may even try a watch build if I learn enough. I know that there is more pieces needed for making watches but still a good start.
Jack

I tried to make a set of pegs out of old copper wire. Was almost finished and broke it in half. Used hss formed tool cutter. Here I have brass and aluminum. Thinking my next set will be a jumbo set.

uploadfromtaptalk1428202226320.jpg

Made a pivot pin for the front axle. Got the TE1A off ebay with broken brass rivet.
uploadfromtaptalk1428202441346.jpg
I also made a pivot pin for a ho scale model caboose that was missing for the one truck. Used 3/16 brass.

I just had thought about making a set of poker chips from metal. Brass copper aluminum. Would be costly set for sure.
Jack

Congratulations on the good deal. The motor is not difficult to take apart and then see what you have.

That cross slide is quite interesting. I have never seen one like it. The collets and three jaw chuck are great to have and make the lathe useful. Looks like you also have a collet holder for the tailstock.

Congratulations on the good deal. The motor is not difficult to take apart and then see what you have.

That cross slide is quite interesting. I have never seen one like it. The collets and three jaw chuck are great to have and make the lathe useful. Looks like you also have a collet holder for the tailstock.
I'm not worried to much about the switch. I have not used the lathe in long time now. The cross slide is manual slide. And hand made by a previous owner. The slide is magnetic. Must be plated with another metal. I think I am only 3 owner of it. I did add a few more collets. Couple of #32 or near 1/8" for material i have. Yes I got the tailstock collet holder.

Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Today I took the motor apart. Decided to wait for another day to try take the laminated switch apart that is soldered with short wires. After resembling it to find it works perfect now. I will leave it as is till it is an issue again. Did not take any pictures cause of very greasy hands. Was happy that wires are in good condition. Next project for this lathe is a better base than old plywood to mount it on.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back