Water Based Cleaner for Plastics....?

I'm looking for a good low or zero VOC water based cleaner/degreaser for plastics that won't remove paint or discolor.
Does anyone know a good product that doesn't remove paint or mar the surface of plastic parts and tools or gages with dials, etc...

I have used SPRAY 9 for about 30 or 40 years. Available at auto part stores, Amazon and some Big Box stores
Google it.

What are you cleaning? An ultrasonic cleaner does a fantastic job on plastic. I will toss my tools in my ultrasonic cleaner with a pinch of Dawn and all the tools come out clean needing a little rust protection. My plastic Proto screw driver handles come out with more grip than when they were new. It does a great job on plastic interior car panels... and plastic guns too.

I'm cleaning vintage indicator dials. I'm going to use the dials to make something. I don't want to loose the numbers or discolor.

Hydroxyl Acid works wonders on certain plastics and mating dogs, do not combine it with ethanol as poor results have been recorded as covered in Macheinerys Handbook Volume 178, page 118196, or maybe page 118195 in copies published between 4 June 1967 and 11 June 1967. If you search EBay for months or years a copy will turn up that is so cheap the seller will pay you to take it.

Can't go wrong there.

Dawn Platnum is their extra heavy duty grease cutting dish soap. It is much stronger than regular Dawn and will take the oils out of your skin, so gloves are recommended. TSP might be worth trying as well, with the powdered form you can adjust the concentration to create a stronger solution.

I will warn you though that Dawn Platnum, Simple Green, and Purple Power are all used by modelers to strip paint from model parts. Soaking from 15 minutes to an hour or more will remove paint without hurting the plastic, so be careful with those if you want to keep your markings intact.

I am overwhelmed with joy, no pun intended, that some savvy manufacturer makes a Platnum dish soap, I have been waiting for this my entire life, the cadmium dish soap that I have been using for years never worked very well. Cadmium also effects my langusge skills somewhat.

Thansk

Last edited:
Back