Water in conduit?!

There is a big difference between weather proof and weather resistant. I will bet that many of the people that write these ads do not even know the difference as well as a lot of people buying the item.

It is only a lie if you know it to be untrue when you state it. This could just be lack of knowledge.

As for your Polaris connections. since you are using the smallest possible wire in them (They are rated for 3/0-6 AWG.) you have to make extra effort to be sure that the screw is actually getting a good bite on the full dia of the wire. there is room to get the wire a bit off center and not be connecting to all the strands. Missing some strands will make a hot spot. They do make a smaller one that is for 1/0-14 AWG or even better the one that is for 4-14 AWG.

There is a big difference between weather proof and weather resistant. I will bet that many of the people that write these ads do not even know the difference as well as a lot of people buying the item.

It is only a lie if you know it to be untrue when you state it. This could just be lack of knowledge.

As for your Polaris connections. since you are using the smallest possible wire in them (They are rated for 3/0-6 AWG.) you have to make extra effort to be sure that the screw is actually getting a good bite on the full dia of the wire. there is room to get the wire a bit off center and not be connecting to all the strands. Missing some strands will make a hot spot. They do make a smaller one that is for 1/0-14 AWG or even better the one that is for 4-14 AWG.
I found the link I bought them from: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163789955077

I think I DID actually get the 4-14 AWG version! Note it is 3 tap, because I have the junction box splitting off to my shaper. I know you aren't supposed to split 50 amp service, but its the only way to charge the car and have my shaper in at the same time, AND we only charge the car overnight.

Added a couple of pictures. I'm now actually unconvinced there was water in the conduit, that paper towel stayed dry all night in heavy rain.

I DID use 4-14 polaris connectors, which may have gotten damp due to condensation, but it is weird for it to happen the 1st rain? I would expect there would need to be some sort of time for corrosion to happen.

The problem seems to have been centered on those connectors.

Here is the charger and the plug, conduit goes down to the wall, sealed with silicone.

PXL_20210919_151615592.jpg

Other side of the wall. Wire on the right goes to the box, the RPC plug was on the bottom, and the car plug goes through the wall.
PXL_20210919_151655804.jpg

Lastly, some of the charred pieces. I think I don't have the actual metal box (just the extension), but that is everything else.
PXL_20210919_151708090.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210919_151651792.jpg
    PXL_20210919_151651792.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
When you do this again if you DIY, instead of ordering off eBay and Amazon just go to the local professional electrical supply house. I've always found them helpful and occasionally cheaper than the big box store.

Electrical in your home or shop is not the place to try and save money by shopping online, if you DIY make sure you know the needed code and source quality components.

JMHO,

John

Not sure how well this captured it, but I see some green crusties on a few wires... I guess this is my culprit.

Attachments

• PXL_20210919_152421146.jpg
    PXL_20210919_152421146.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Thanks for the picture.

In this situation I think you should be running to the back of the box. And, get the right one....

Yes, corrosion will raise the resistance significantly. But, you should have had overcurrent protection that would trip before stuff actually burned.

John

Condensation inside conduit is common, you need a drain hole at the lowest point, only needs to be 4mm but it is the only way to cure the problem, when a conduit passes from a heated shop to the outside, the warm air from inside the building cools and condensation forms, no amount of sealing will cure condensation, it needs the opposite, ventilation! Better still scrap the conduit and use a wire armoured cable to feed the charger unit!

When you do this again if you DIY, instead of ordering off eBay and Amazon just go to the local professional electrical supply house. I've always found them helpful and occasionally cheaper than the big box store.

Electrical in your home or shop is not the place to try and save money by shopping online, if you DIY make sure you know the needed code and source quality components.

JMHO,

John
Sadly, the only electrical supply place around here doesn't serve the public, so I was stuck with what home Depot and Lowes had (plus what I could find online).
Thanks for the picture.

In this situation I think you should be running to the back of the box. And, get the right one....

John
Can you clarify what you mean? I'm not sure what you are saying.
Condensation inside conduit is common, you need a drain hole at the lowest point, only needs to be 4mm but it is the only way to cure the problem, when a conduit passes from a heated shop to the outside, the warm air from inside the building cools and condensation forms, no amount of sealing will cure condensation, it needs the opposite, ventilation! Better still scrap the conduit and use a wire armoured cable to feed the charger unit!
I can't picture what you mean by that, can you clarify?

Sadly, the only electrical supply place around here doesn't serve the public, so I was stuck with what home Depot and Lowes had (plus what I could find online).

Can you clarify what you mean? I'm not sure what you are saying.

I can't picture what you mean by that, can you clarify?
Too bad you can't buy directly from the real supply house, it's worth a trip or phone call to someone who knows what you're doing to get this right.

The next box should probably be mounted with wire coming in from behind, if you do use the flexible plastic conduit do as @hermetic says and put a drip loop in with a small hole so condensation can drain out the bottom.

John

Back