Water Proof Shaft Seal

If running underwater the seal can be of many options that are dependent on rpm and pressure...but forget about the seal for a moment.

Material selection more important now as different materials act differently dependent on chemistry.

Once all of the materials are determined next is fit and bearings as the shaft needs to run true and not have much end play.

Last then is determining what style of seal that will meet the rpm needs and fit in the part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I am not sure what you are trying to make / do, however you could buy one of the very inexpensive small submersible boat bilge pumps and see what they do.

David

I am not sure what you are trying to make / do, however you could buy one of the very inexpensive small submersible boat bilge pumps and see what they do.

David

Some of these small pumps use a magnetic drive so there is no shaft to seal, not sure if that's option this case.

All of the bilge pumps for small boats I have seen sit in the bilge with a float switch and pump to an outlet above the water line.

Outboard motors use 2 oil seals installed back to back , one to keep oil in and one to keep water out. It is simple cheap and it works.

Just look up the prop shaft seals on outboard engines. They're cheap and are designed to do just what you're doing.

On my old small blue band Mercs, they are single seals but of a deeper ,more robust construction. I thought of using commonly available ones but went with the proper ones.

Back