Water Proof Shaft Seal

lellasone

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has some good resources (or thoughts) on how to seal a small spinning shaft. My current thought is to try to make a small stuffing box with an 1/8" layer of grease between two sealed ball bearings, but since I've never done anything like this I figured I'd reach out and see if that's reasonable.

All the best,
Jake

Can't believe I forgot to say what I was sealing against, in this case water. Less than a meter deep, but it's got to run submerged.

Thanks for the replies. It didn't even occur to me to check Micmaster, but of course they have something for exactly this.

I'll take a look at that PDF.

What horse power is involved? More precisely, how much friction can you handle from the seal?
Shaft diameter?
RPM?

Mechanical Seal.
It's what they use on automotive water pumps, commonly a Viton seal running against a ceramic surface.

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has some good resources (or thoughts) on how to seal a small spinning shaft. My current thought is to try to make a small stuffing box with an 1/8" layer of grease between two sealed ball bearings, but since I've never done anything like this I figured I'd reach out and see if that's reasonable.

All the best,
Jake

For a proper response we need to know more about the application, shaft size, rpm, hp, salt water/ fresh water,depth of water or head, duty cycle,

Back