Way and spindle oil

Oh My here we go again
Oils aint oils
Well im over it once again in my opinion i think this has gotten way outta control .i have been a mechanic and hobby enthusiest for a long time now and been around lathes before i was walking i csn say now your lathe grarbox would never endure the punishemrnt and older vehicles gearbox has been put tbrough over tbe yaers and yes plenty of older car gear boxes have brass bushings .they all survived on 75 or 90 wieght oil and even less engine oil .
From what ive seen over the years id say most older car gearboxes are mor safisticated than or lathe gearboxrs and i know myself ill run a 25w 60 in mine anyday rather than some iso20 or sae 20 in my opinion its to light for the ways 75 or 90 or 140 most of it will be wiped of but a genral minral bases oil will leave enough behind to saffice and lubricate what needs lubricatibg

Oh My here we go again
Oils aint oils
Well im over it once again in my opinion i think this has gotten way outta control .i have been a mechanic and hobby enthusiest for a long time now and been around lathes before i was walking i csn say now your lathe grarbox would never endure the punishemrnt and older vehicles gearbox has been put tbrough over tbe yaers and yes plenty of older car gear boxes have brass bushings .they all survived on 75 or 90 wieght oil and even less engine oil .
From what ive seen over the years id say most older car gearboxes are mor safisticated than or lathe gearboxrs and i know myself ill run a 25w 60 in mine anyday rather than some iso20 or sae 20 in my opinion its to light for the ways 75 or 90 or 140 most of it will be wiped of but a genral minral bases oil will leave enough behind to saffice and lubricate what needs lubricatibg

Ha ha , theirs never enough over thinking oil is their ? ;)

I have had two brands of way oil and they did actualy behave noticibly different, I thnk the mobil one I had was different at lower temperatures. When I've used regular oils on the ways it definetly tends to be wiped off quicker with the constant back and forth of the saddle.

Stu

I fill my bathtub with way oil and then sit in it for a few hours to relax after work sometimes....
Anyone remember the DMSO(?) craze of the '70s & '80's? Folks were talking baths in it.
A buddy of my father bought an entire trailer of 55gal drums of the stuff.

When the arthritis in my hands gets annoying enough (not often), I rub DMSO into them. It works, and works well. It is the only thing besides medical pain killers that helps, and medical pain killers have many problems, and work less well the longer you use them, not to mention some awful potential side effects. I could go on for hours about medication side effects, first hand experience. Make sure the area where you rub DMSO into is clean and free of contaminants, because DMSO is a solvent and will dissolve them and carry them into your bloodstream.

Be careful after application also. I haven't run into it at work in awhile, but there was one casualty awhile ago. Person applied DMSO to both knees, and ankles, then went in the yard, and sprayed poison. He did not survive, and it took a bit to find out what happened. Good recommendation Bob.

Back