way & lube oils

outsider347

Active User
Registered
I have a 12 " atlas lathe & been keeping everything quite clean since I bought it. No idea how many PO had this machine

Question is about what way oil & general purpose lube oils do you gents use on your manual lathe
tks

I recommend Mobil Vactra 2 way oil or some call it medium heavy 68 way oil. MSC sells it in gallon sizes. I can't help you with the manual. Good luck.

Thanks Richard

What oil do you use in the oil cups & spildle brgs?

I found the manuals & parts list on line & several other places.
I also bought the atlas operator manual from Clausing
It's been a fun adventure doing the lathe restoration & finally making some tools

Can also used non detergent 20w oil for most lube points if you have problems getting the spindle oil. Remember it is an open system, lube everytime you use the lathe. Vactra #2 way oil is what to use for the ways as Richard already stated.

The early manuals said SAE 10 except on the open gears. Later ones, including later editions on the early model machines, say SAE 20. I use SAE 20 (which isn't easy to find locally anymore) except in the way felts where I use Vactra 20. The one class of oils that you do NOT want to use are detergent type automotive oils. They are formulated to capture moisture (water) and as a lathe doesn't stir and heat the oil/water mix, the water will remain in place and cause corrosion.

Robert D.

can these oils be found localy like maybe an auto parts store or do you guys order online?

SAE 10 or 20 oil can be found at Napa and the like. We used to stock it at the GM dealership I worked at. Likely they will have to order a case. Some vintage car owners still use non detergent oils. Machine shops use all sorts of lubes, spindle oils naturally. Check local industrial supply stores. Call the maker for local dealer, it is 1-800 bite me number. The tech departments are very good once you get there.
Pierre

www.tractorsupply.com carries non-detergent oils and ISO 68 and 100 hydraulic fluid which are the blood of many lathe and mill gearboxes. This is what is recommended in the PM (aka Precision Matthews, Quality Machine Tool) PM mills and the basic bench lathes -and most others like it. Of course, check your owner manual. There are many TS outlets but not all will ship the oils.

I found the hard way (with no damage to equipment) that differential oil (80W = ISO 100) will foam like crazy in the PM 45 mill. Matt said some of his customers were using it. I tried it once for a week and switched back to hydraulic oil. There was so much foam, you couldn't see inside the sight glass. Doesn't happen with hydraulic oil.

Ray

can these oils be found localy like maybe an auto parts store or do you guys order online?

Well, OK... this is my personal habit and other folks have rightly so, their habits -and I'm not saying one is better than the other.

I use general purpose grease (forgot the certification type) and I check it almost daily. I wipe down the old stuff and apply fresh. Note: A very knowledgeable person here correctly points-out that grease is a magnet for swarf -and I completely agree. This is why I'm pretty darn good about wiping the old off and applying fresh -and my gearbox is very well covered. And also, there are times when I know I won't be using the leadscrews at all so, I disengage the middle gear so things aren't getting worn-out at all.

That's my personal method and there are other ones as good as or better than mine.

Ray

PS: Sorry for the long-winded response but; oil, lubrication -seems to really strike a chord in folks.

EDIT: And the reason I use grease is because they are bone dry after 2 hours of spinning when heavy oil is used. It just doesn't stick well enough for my personal feelings about this.

What do you use on the open gears?
tks

Back