way & lube oils

I had the same questions when I bought my 12 inch Caftsman Atlas lathe almost 4 years ago. Did a lot of research and actually called Mobil and Lubriplate to talk to their tech folks who specialize in lubricants for machine tools.
Went with the following recommendations from Lubriplate:
No. 3000 grease (product # L0108-001) 14 oz can. For the open gears on the headstock, apply with a small brush.

No 2 spindle oil (product # L0003-007) Gallon size. For all the oil cups and oiling points, I use a 10cc syringe with a IV catheter and drip it right in where it needs to go.

SPO-222 oil (product # L0242-007 I think) label is smudged and I'm too lazy to look it up online. It is the gallon size. I use this on the ways. I also use this on the ways of my milling machine.

I went with Lubriplate because there are multiple local dealers that had the stuff in stock or could get it within the day without having to pay shipping. Inexpensive and excellent quality industrial lubricants.
Mobil had similar products but much pricier and less available.
Trivia time: Lubriplate grease (product #130a) was selected by the military in WW 2 for use in the M-1 Garand. They still make it today!

I've heard that oils made for chainsaws are good for the open gears. Sticks without getting flung all over the place.

Just to clarify, Lubriplate No 2 is a 20 weight spindle oil. The Lubriplate 3000 grease was designed for the mining industry for open gearing and not to pick up debris.

Hello Outsider,

I hope I can be of some help.

The concern about detergent vs. non-detergent seems valid on the surface. I believe everyone is concerned about the detergent oil absorbing moisture. It is designed to do that in an automotive engine which has combustion and high heat. The moisture comes from condensation as the engine cools (yes, some comes from the combustion process and most of that goes out the exhaust port). A lathe never reaches the temperature of an auto engine and condensation is not a concern. Condensation happens when there is a temperature differential. There is no reason to worry about using a detergent oil to lubricate your lathe, unless it operates in a in an extremely moist environment. Keep in mind, quality oils are formulated with rust inhibitors. I have been using motor oil on equipment for years (usually on hand in the garage). Anything I have that gets rusted is the fault of my neglect. I like using oil because every time you add, it kind of washes the parts, cleaning them as it leaks out or is flung off. The loss of the oil is another reason absorption is a non-issue.

A 20 weight oil is adequate. Gear oils contain an EP additive (extreme pressure) that is unnecessary for straight cut gears. There are car and truck manual transmissions that specify motor oil. Motor oils use the SAE viscosity rating while most industrial oils use the ISO rating. A quality compressor oil is great for lathe lubrication. An ISO range from 46 to 68 falls in the 20 weight SAE scale (lower is nearer 15 and higher is near 30 weight). Quality compressor oils have no ep additives and they do have rust and oxidation inhibitors. An air compressor builds a lot more heat than the lathes most of us use will ever reach. Non-detergent motor oil is going to be a thing of the past and compressor oils keep getting better.

One FYI about viscosity. Ask 10 people what the W stands for on a can of oil - say 20W-50 - and over nine of them will tell you it means "weight". That is incorrect. It stands for "Winter". The 20W-50 is a multi-viscosity oil. It is a 50 weight oil that reacts as a 20 weight oil in low temperatures, This quality enables an engine to turn over easier in cold conditions. The tests for the low temp and the high temp are different.

I hope this helps.

Paul

s

You mean like the Gulf Coast?

If the humidity in your shop is so high that it is condensing on your machinery, I would say yes. Detergent absorbs some moisture, non-detergent separates from it. Both conditions lead to rust if not addressed. Some of us have to clean and re-oil more often than others.

Back