Way Oil And Variations

Bob is correct. I am using compressor oil and I can say I DO notice the stick-slip that Bob refers to. Vactra is formulated to prevent this per the product literature.
Robert

Guys, great info and commentary. This is exactly what I was hoping to have happen. Good dialog around way oil and what it does/does not do. Good stuff! Great thread.

I came across this video discussing oil corrosion inhibitors, I thought others might find it interesting too.

I've been using bar/chain oil on the change gears for a while no.
It seems to work very well and definitely quietens the gear noise but it is very sticky.

I think what works all depends on the gear configuration of your machine. I have a Sheldon MW-56P that has a phenolic gear in the headstock assembly. The purpose of the gear is not only to keep the gear train quiet, but also to act as a sacrificial element in the event of a crash. I tried using chain oil on this assembly one time. I found the stickiness tended to capture swarf and eventually run it through the gear train. In several cases the swarf got pressed into the phenolic gear and caused a thumping sound on every revolution. I had to dig the chip(s) out of the gear with a sharp pick.

I switched back to 10W-30 oil per John Knox (former Sheldon design engineer) for all applications EXCEPT the ways. He Still recommends Vactra #2 for the ways. As for using 10W-30, according to John it has better lubrication and anti corrosion properties than any oils that were available at the time the lathe was built. Since switching back to the 10W-30 I have not had any problems with swarf getting stuck in the phenolic gear.

I use chainsaw bar oil too, it works and it sticks-- to everything

I'm doing the opposite. I use reclaimed way oil (from CNC mills & lathes) as bar oil. Seems thinner and less sticky than genuine bar oil, but I have a virtually unlimited supply.

Back