Way oils, what is still available. What would be good for an old style lathe.

Shadowdog500

Active User
Registered
I am looking to buy way oil and was about to pull the trigger on mobile vaculine 1409 but paying well over $100 for three lifetime supplies of anything makes you look at what you are getting and what options are available.

I did find numerous old threads that go into great length on how vaculine 1409 is the same as the old vactra 2. I also found a bunch of old recommendation to get way oils that I can't find anywhere like Sunoco and Chevron way oils. (do they still make those?)

When I read the mobil specifications of vacuoline 1409 the big thing mobil points out is that
"Mobil Vacuoline™ 1400 Series oils are extra high performance lubricants specifically designed to satisfy the requirements of machine tools that use one oil for both hydraulic systems and way lubrication. "

My my lathe don't have a hydraulic system that I know of, so is there another way oil (still available) that would do a better job of just handling the ways?

Side question: Is the Ashburn way oil 68 from Fastenal any good, I can get a gallon of that locally for $37.

Thanks,

Chris

If you can get 5 gallons of Vactra 2 from Enco for $85 with free shipping why pay $37 for 1 gallon of ISO 68? I know it's a lot but only a few years worth or am I using too much?

Dave

I seems to remember a vendor sells way oil in quarts instead of 5 gallon pail. Maybe someone will chime in on that. As for Ashburn way oil, the company seems to be a major maker of lube oils.

The difference between Vactra (I use this one as it is the one that I currently have) versus Vaculine is the amount of tackifier. There is also mention of the amount stiction on the initial move of the carriage. Vaculine has more tackifier apparently. I find that Vactra has to be added to the ways just about everytime I use the lathe. Vaculine is made to stick better and longer. BTW CNC machines do not like tackifiers in their oils. Slows them down.

Oils have multiple uses. If you look at the uses of spindle oils, Velocite for example, one sees that turbines can use the same oil, we use it in our universal grinder at work. Another example is hydraulic oils in farm equipment, it is used in the transmission as well as the hydraulics.
Pierre

If you can get 5 gallons of Vactra 2 from Enco for $85 with free shipping why pay $37 for 1 gallon of ISO 68? I know it's a lot but only a few years worth or am I using too much?

Dave

Today's version of Vactra 2 don't have the tackafiers that keep the oil on the ways anymore, because it is now formulated for newer CNC machines that don't need the tackafiers. A lot of older machines like mine were getting ruined by using it. When companies started complaining about ruined equipment Mobil started selling the old version of "vactra 2" as "vaculine 1409" which is what they reccomend for older equipment like mine. It is kind of like the "new coke" vs "classic coke" debacle in the '80s

If I do go with mobil I would spend the $100 plus shipping for the vaculine 1409.

5 gallons only lasts a few years? Maybe it isn't the multi lifetime supply I've been reading about here, when people talk about buying it in 5 gallon pails to divvy up between members.

is scheffer's way oil any good?
who still sells decent way oil?

chris

I seems to remember a vendor sells way oil in quarts instead of 5 gallon pail. Maybe someone will chime in on that. As for Ashburn way oil, the company seems to be a major maker of lube oils.

The difference between Vactra (I use this one as it is the one that I currently have) versus Vaculine is the amount of tackifier. There is also mention of the amount stiction on the initial move of the carriage. Vaculine has more tackifier apparently. I find that Vactra has to be added to the ways just about everytime I use the lathe. Vaculine is made to stick better and longer. BTW CNC machines do not like tackifiers in their oils. Slows them down.

Oils have multiple uses. If you look at the uses of spindle oils, Velocite for example, one sees that turbines can use the same oil, we use it in our universal grinder at work. Another example is hydraulic oils in farm equipment, it is used in the transmission as well as the hydraulics.
Pierre

Thanks for the info. Southbend sells way oil in small bottles, but it is $16.82 on amazon for a 12oz bottle which is super high priced compared to anything else.

i do run ISO 68 hydraulic oil from tractor supply in my headstock bearings and apron. It is the reccomended oil based on and old grizzly manual for the same lathe. I've been using it as way oil for a month now and want to get real way oil. When I travel my lathe and mill may sit for a month or two, and when I'm home they may only get used on the weekend. I want a good sticky oil on those ways.

Thanks,

chris

Last edited:
I have bought small quantities of Vactra #2 from bluechipmachineshop on ebay. I just emailed him to ask if he will start selling Vacuoline 1409.

Here are his current listings which have Vactra #2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321146352222 and http://www.ebay.com/itm/221033032190

Update: He just emailed me back

My source tells me they modified the tactifiers (not removed them). I have no immediate plans to switch over to the Vaculine, but I may carry it in the future. I get 4 or 5 requests for it a year.

PS: The correct spelling is Vacuoline - http://www.mobil.com/Colombia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Vacuoline_1400.aspx

Last edited:
i use 20 wt non det oil , iso 32 & 68 in my machnes

After doing a lot of reading online I decided to try the Sunoco 1180 way oil. I read that it is hard to find but a good way oil. I hope so because a 5 gallon pail of the stuff showed up on my porch today.

I found a supplier near philly(about an hour and a half from me) and had it delivered ups ground to my door for around $55.

e0cfa4bfcefa2cc2900fcab7e320330d_zps62770d79.jpg

I decided to try cheap ketchup and mustard bottles to put the oil on my ways. Hopefully the oil won't have a negative effect on the bottles, I'm keeping it in a loaf pan just in case.

Chris
05b338f43d044c98ed23d90668e4e4fa_zpseb5006af.jpg
66320c7c12328b7a61371b6e30d929f5_zps20e4c587.jpg

Back