Way Repairs To A Large Mill

Yep that's what I was thinking:) stop over thinking it!
Well the tyranny of time has caught up to me, i have had to keep side lining this repair as more and more work piles up. I bought a new (to me mill) and am wondering what to do with this thing. The pain of being done over on it has faded enough that i can scrap it. I am thinking of making a really big welding bench from the table, what else can be done with the left overs?

No one has displayed interest in it in the last few years? The nearest city to me that would have anyone with the ability to fix it would be 6hrs away. I have never been able to find parts for it or even the correct parts book.

Made a small error pulling one shaft out not paying attention and the clock mechanism fell out of sync :eek: there are some serious amounts of combinations they can go. Hopefully I got it back in the right way cause I will have to completely disassemble the box to fix it. Still a few weeks away with work and kid commitments.

Just a rule of thumb for all to know. If you ever pull apart a feed or speed box that is gear driven. Before you shut off the power, find the gears that are the lowest RPM and the next one up is the Highest then put it back in the lowest and take it apart there. Many American made machines like K&T and Cincinnati use a hand crank and it's easy to do it. The K&T factory would stamp the feed shift gears with timing marks, one gear has X -X and the other and the other one used a O that you assembled with the O in between the 2 X's

I am currently in the throws of a complete gear box / knee rebuild of my universal. I have had to completely remove the bed and cross saddle and the pivot saddle, if thats the correct terminology. I never wanted to strip it but in its previous life it has had some not so good repairs and in all honesty im lucky it didnt launch the entire gear box out the side. So after repairing some shafts and replacing the bearings im going to put this giant rubix cube back together.
But in the process of stripping it i have found some damage to the ways from blocked oil holes and it has picked up and gouged the bed. I have a not so precision straight edge and it looks good, i am waiting on 2 new proper precision straight edges to arrive to check thoroughly. I have also ordered a 400mm x 400mm cast iron surface plate. My question is what is the best way to repair the gouges and remove any high spots with out affecting the accuracy of the mill? I have no scraping experience and tbo i have no immediate desire to start, i want to use the mill not work on it. If the ways arent worn badly other than the gouge marks, any suggestions on a repair?

Thanks Str8
I suggest you sell off, scrap it and buy something you can use, Grizzly has combination machines, vertical, horizontal, I don't know what your Hobby machining interest is, just get something that works, machine rebuilding uses some expensive equipment and if you aren't going to rebuild don't buy it. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I was a machine repairman/ rebuilder for a major corporation, I could borrow strait edges, power scrapers, and tools to do that work, my shop had an 8 foot x 2 x 2.5 foot planer, I made $$$$ part time deplaning punch press gibs and rams, I could deplane Shaper rams, lathe beds, milling machine parts, I even deplaned a Planer crosslide.
I made straight edges. but machining was not my hobby but made money for my hobbies. just get something to USE not FIX

I suggest you sell off, scrap it and buy something you can use, Grizzly has combination machines, vertical, horizontal, I don't know what your Hobby machining interest is, just get something that works, machine rebuilding uses some expensive equipment and if you aren't going to rebuild don't buy it. Sorry to burst your bubble.
no burst bubbles here, I bought the machine to use, got well screwed and tried making the best of a crap situation. I have actually scrapped the machine after rebuilding half of it a found that the other gear box for the spindle drive was also stuffed. Long story short it is gone, the bed is now a welding jig which is awesome by the way. I have bought a pacific FTV5S in excellent condition and then managed to accumulate a TOS universal which is an awesome machine, needs a DRO for me to use more efficiently but it is great. I fully agree on getting something to use and not fix.

Back