Way Wipers, Use Felt Until Find Some Ruber?

Make a trip to HD and buy a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar. Cut out a piece to shape the ways and a piece of felt to fit and sandwich the felt between the plate and the carriage and use some small button head soc screws to secure.

One thing to keep in mind when fitting felt to way wipers. F-5 is fine, but it is much dense and can be difficult to install properly unless you make a die and stamp them out. The reason I prefer the less dense felt like F-1 or F-2, cut slightly oversized as well as a little thicker. When you go together with wiper and felt, it is squeezed tight so it bears snug against the ways of the machine. It also helps to soak/saturate the felt in oil before assembly, too. Not a have too, but helps. Ken

I hadn't had a problem cutting F-5 felts. Just used a sharp exacto knife and take my time. I to cut them slightly oversize and soak them with oil. One thing I haven't figured out is their life span. All the machines I've gotten were in obvious need of replacement. Not just the lathes but my mills also. Might not be a bad idea to make templets And replace them every few years regardless of usage.

Good point there. Being more dense, be easier to cut. I was thinking the other way around.

Back