Wayne's Early Atlas 10D (below S/N 3970)

Wierd Harold

Active User
Registered
dfwcnc,

FWIW, the Atlas 9", 10" and 12" all use three slot banjo's.

Robert D.

Is this what you would call a "3 slot" ? I always thought of this as having 2 slots for gears and not counting the curved adjustment slot.
IMG_1274.JPG

Wayne F

IMG_1274.JPG

Re: Thread cutting help, please...

No. Unless the machines threading table showed gears actually mounted in the radiused slot, I would call this a 2-slot. See below for a typical Atlas 3-slot banjo with some associated parts for perspective. Note that the 4th (radiused vertical) slot is for the adjustment lock.

3-SLOT BANJO.jpg

No. Unless the machines threading table showed gears actually mounted in the radiused slot, I would call this a 2-slot. See below for a typical Atlas 3-slot banjo with some associated parts for perspective. Note that the 4th (radiused vertical) slot is for the adjustment lock.

Mine is an older 10-30 (possibly pre-D) with 2 96 tooth gears and the old style compound .I still haven't come up with a totally readable gear chart for this banjo setup.

Wayne F

Wayne,

The original was pretty bad and I still haven't cleaned it up as much as I can but take a look in the Downloads under Atlas for the 918 parts list. It has listed two each 96T gears and page three is a threading chart that shows them.

Any chance that your machine might actually be a 9" instead of 10". Check the distance between the spindle center and a flat laid across the ways.

Robert D.

Mike,

The 10" (and 9") machines have a basic difference from the 6" and 12". The former have a gearbox at the left end of the leadscrew for reversing whereas the latter have a tumbler assembly that engages the spindle gear. The gear trains are thus different. Plus as Wayne indicated earlier, the early ones have two 96T gears in the mix. I haven't yet pinned down when that changed.

Robert D.

Wayne,

The original was pretty bad and I still haven't cleaned it up as much as I can but take a look in the Downloads under Atlas for the 918 parts list. It has listed two each 96T gears and page three is a threading chart that shows them.

Any chance that your machine might actually be a 9" instead of 10". Check the distance between the spindle center and a flat laid across the ways.

Robert D.

It is definitely a 10 " . It is one of the first 10's I think. It has the T-bolt upper swivel\compound with the little knob instead of a wheel or handles.
I will post some pictures later. I guess I should start my own thread.

Wayne F

Wayne, et al,

I split the posts applicable to your machine out into a new thread.

Your machine apparently matches 10D below S/N 3970. Technically, it might also started life as one of the "Unit Plan" machines 10A, 10B or 10E. If anyone cares to know what that means, ask. But as with all the accessories, they became a 10D so I won't define them.

At S/N 3970, the cross slide, compound and milling attachment changed from the 2-bolt and slots to the pintle style. If you have any interest in a milling attachment to fit your machine, someone on the Yahoo Atlas_Craftsman list had one several weeks ago.

Robert D.

Wayne, et al,

I split the posts applicable to your machine out into a new thread.

Your machine apparently matches 10D below S/N 3970. Technically, it might also started life as one of the "Unit Plan" machines 10A, 10B or 10E. If anyone cares to know what that means, ask. But as with all the accessories, they became a 10D so I won't define them.

At S/N 3970, the cross slide, compound and milling attachment changed from the 2-bolt and slots to the pintle style. If you have any interest in a milling attachment to fit your machine, someone on the Yahoo Atlas_Craftsman list had one several weeks ago.

Robert D.

I have suspected that this started life as a "Unit Plan" .The lathe was originally bought by a friends grandfather and then passed down to his son who apparently did not do any upkeep and used it for a wood lathe.
Thanks for the info on the milling attachment but that was one of the few good things that came with the lathe. A long story I'll tell later.

Wayne F

Is this what you would call a "3 slot" ? I always thought of this as having 2 slots for gears and not counting the curved adjustment slot.
View attachment 47198

Wayne F
Wayne I have a 50's Atlas 10" TH42 here's a picture of the geartrain
TH42geartrain.JPG
Here's the Threading Chart, it says for 12" lathe, but is correct for my 10"lathe.
Click 3 times on chart for best zoom:
Atlas12threading chart.JPG
I hope the info helps, i can post a picture with all the gears removed, but you appear to have the same banjo that i have.:))
i do find it interesting that there is no 16/32 tooth pinion change gear at the spindle gears 7 o'clock position, it the stud broken off or nonexistant?
mike

TH42geartrain.JPG Atlas12threading chart.JPG

Mike,

If you don't already have them, you should go to Downloads/Atlas... and get the two Atlas Lathe 10F Series files that I just uploaded. They should match your machine.

The 10" through 10D/E had no spindle stud compound gear. And came with two 96T gears. The highest tooth count in the 10F and most 12" is 64T. And I think that if you remove the left 64T gear from your banjo, you will see that your banjo does not match Wayne's.

Also, not that it matters much, the 32/16 compound gear shown on your chart close to but not engaging the spindle gear is on the tumbler and is farther away from the spindle gear than on your machine. There are one or two (FWD or REV) more gears between it and the spindle gear.

Robert D.

Back